What happens when you short circuit a source?

In summary, the short circuit of a voltage source creates an impossibility because there is no such thing as infinite current or energy.
Bassalisk
I attached a relevant image.

I was doing some circuit solving methods, and I came across this as a riddle. If I short circuit a resistor, logically, all current will go through a wire on top.

But will it be the same if you short circuit a source? I mean can it be that source goes out of existence?

I mean from a REAL situation, a wire has some internal resistance r, and this wouldn't be a problem, but in a circuit analysis, where wire is ideal, and there are no losses, what will happen?

Attachments

• 6f5d445ffc184106d0e5bc8c9c7f5adf.jpg
    6f5d445ffc184106d0e5bc8c9c7f5adf.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 603
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, just like you say, the source goes out of existence, because it's easy to short circuit with a wire of rather low resistance. And probably, in real world, you would see some smoke coming out of the source.

Hmm but its really unintuitive to think that the source will be wiped out...

Bassalisk said:
Hmm but its really unintuitive to think that the source will be wiped out...

Why. It DOES seem intuitive to me to think that the source will be wiped out, and if you've ever short-circuited a power supply with a big enough wire (or whatever) you'll know that "wiped out" can be very literal.

What does the R represent?

You have not short circuited the voltage source that you show in your schematic, unless that is supposed to be the internal series resistance of the voltage source.

OP, think of short circuiting a voltage source as drawing infinite current out of it, this pushes whatever real source to a physical limit of trying to generate infinite power.

Also think about it this way, the voltage source has a finite voltage across it, but by shorting this voltage with a 0 ohm wire, you make the voltage across it 0. This is a contradiction between the voltage source voltage and the voltage drop across the wire, and so you're creating a physical impossibility, since there is no such thing as infinite current or infinite energy for that matter. This is an example where you can see a difference between an ideal mathematical circuit and the real world physics of circuits. Of course, the mathematical circuit is still valid, but it shows you where the limits are.

The physical process of any particular voltage source (chemical, electromechanical, etc.) will have a finite maximum amount of charge that it can move from one potential to another per a second, and so there is an internal resistance to the source that limits the current even when you attach it to a circuit that will not limit it. This is a way of looking at how real world physics avoids this violation of the laws of thermodynamics that a simple mathematical model might allow for.

Last edited:
Yea I think I understand now. Thanks all.

What is short circuiting a source?

Short circuiting a source refers to creating a low resistance path between the positive and negative terminals of a power source, resulting in a large flow of current. This can lead to overheating, damage to the source, and potential safety hazards.

Why would someone want to short circuit a source?

Short circuiting can be used as a safety measure, as it can quickly cut off the power supply in case of an emergency. It can also be used in certain electrical experiments to study the effects of high current flow.

What are the potential dangers of short circuiting a source?

The main danger of short circuiting a source is the risk of electrical fires or explosions due to the high flow of current. It can also damage the source and any connected devices. Additionally, the person performing the short circuiting may also be at risk of electrical shock.

How can short circuiting a source be prevented?

To prevent short circuiting, it is important to properly insulate all electrical connections and ensure that the circuit is properly wired. Fuses and circuit breakers can also be installed to protect against short circuits. It is also important to follow safety precautions and avoid attempting to short circuit high voltage sources.

What should I do if a source is accidentally short circuited?

If a source is accidentally short circuited, immediately turn off the power and disconnect any connected devices. Check for any damage to the source or wiring, and replace or repair as necessary. Be sure to follow proper safety procedures and precautions to avoid any potential hazards.