Short Courses for Mech. Eng. Student: C++, Elec., Pneu. Ind. Ctrl.

In summary, if you want to be an engineer, studying programming, electronics, and mechanical engineering is a good idea. However, it all depends on what you are interested in. A course in Mechatronics would be beneficial, as it is related to computer science, controls systems, and engineering. Additionally, a program called ANSYS would be beneficial for your automotive interests.
quessy
is learning C++ worth it to be studied? electronics?(i took this last semester but i think the hands-on part are not enough). how about pneumatic industrial controls? ...or can you suggest any other short courses? pls give me some good advice. pls pls pls.

thanks in advance :D

note: when i said short courses, i mean I am going to take it in other schools (crash courses)

Physics news on Phys.org
Also depends on what you want to do. I took a project engineering course which dealt in time management, leadership etc...which was extremely helpful in my development as an engineer. Honestly I think that course should be a core course in every engineer's curriculum.

Programming is also helpful, a course in MATLAB could be golden. A course in Electronics? Depends on your career goal/interests. A composites course could be useful...

It all depends on you.

viscousflow said:
Also depends on what you want to do. I took a project engineering course which dealt in time management, leadership etc...which was extremely helpful in my development as an engineer. Honestly I think that course should be a core course in every engineer's curriculum.

Programming is also helpful, a course in MATLAB could be golden. A course in Electronics? Depends on your career goal/interests. A composites course could be useful...

It all depends on you.

oh, ok. sir/madam, what if i want to be the jack of all trades but also a master of 'one' ? i want to learn everything (is that too much?). I am in junior year and next year we'll be allowed to choose track or what to specialize. those tracks are HVAC, automotive, and mechatronics. though i am going to choose HVAC, i also want to learn those two as much as i can. so my questions are:

1. what basics or courses should i know for automotive? I'm also planning to take some crash course about this one, you know for more hands on work, 'cause for me a mechanical engr who does not know how to fix his own car is a little shame. what do you think?

2. for mechatronics, i think this is related to controls and i have read that knowledge in MATLAB will be an advantage. it that true? so aside from matlab. what are the things i need to learn here? other software can you recommend?

3. how about for HVAC? though i already know how to prepare for this. what are the other things i need to learn here?

sorry for too much questions, i know there's google, but of course it is different when it comes from people you know you can trust.

note: the tracks i am talking about are 'advance' (advance hvac etc). i mean, i will be taking all of these courses of course. thank you in advance :D

pls leave your ideas, suggestions, and advices pls :D

I am no expert in Mechanical Engineering so I cannot say much about advanced HVAC, as my major is in Aerospace Engineering, however i know that Mechatronics is deeply rooted in computer science, controls systems, electronics and mechanical engineering. Honestly, your best friend for this topic is indeed Matlab, since it essentially encompasses all of these topics and is extremely powerful.

In saying that you will want to get courses on programming preferably in any C language (C through C++) - industry standard, and (needless to say) Matlab.

For your automotive interests you may want to touch on CFD and linear algebra to suit.

Oh and what came to mind on HVAC, is a program called ANSYS, a powerful multiphysics tool.

In order to be a jack of all trades and a master of one, you need to be well versed in theory regarding a variety of subjects and have some practical experience regarding them all.

Hope this helps.

Also, a role of systems engineering would be of interest to you. Research that area.

thank you sir viscous flow. you are the best :D

1. What are the benefits of taking a short course in C++ for mechanical engineering students?

Taking a short course in C++ can provide mechanical engineering students with a strong foundation in programming, which is essential in today's highly technological world. It can also enhance problem-solving skills, improve employability opportunities, and allow for better understanding and implementation of software in engineering projects.

2. How will a short course in electronics benefit mechanical engineering students?

A short course in electronics can help mechanical engineering students gain a better understanding of electronic systems, such as sensors and control systems, which are becoming increasingly common in modern mechanical engineering projects. It can also enhance their ability to troubleshoot and repair electronic systems, which is a valuable skill in the field.

3. What can mechanical engineering students learn from a short course in pneumatic systems?

A short course in pneumatic systems can provide mechanical engineering students with a comprehensive understanding of how compressed air can be used to power machines and equipment. It can also teach them about the design, installation, and maintenance of pneumatic systems, which are commonly used in various industries.

4. How can a short course in industrial control benefit mechanical engineering students?

A short course in industrial control can help mechanical engineering students gain knowledge and skills in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting control systems used in industrial processes. This can include topics such as PLC programming, motor control, and process instrumentation, which are essential in many mechanical engineering applications.

5. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in short courses for mechanical engineering students in the areas of C++, electronics, pneumatic systems, and industrial control?

It is recommended that students have a basic understanding of mathematics and physics before enrolling in these short courses. Some courses may also require prior knowledge or experience in specific areas, so it is best to check the course requirements before enrolling.