Short electricity problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two resistors connected in parallel with resistances of 42 and 64 ohms. The current through the 64 ohm resistor is 3A and the question asks to determine the current in the other resistor and the total power supplied by both resistors. The solution involves using the law for resistors in parallel and using the equations V=IR and I=V/R to solve for the unknown current.

Homework Statement

2) 2 resistors, 42 and 64 ohms, are connected in parallel. The current through the 64 resistor is 3A. Determine the current in the other esistor and what is the total power supplied by the two resistors?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2) How could i possibly have enough info to do this one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1, Whats the overall resistance of 2 resistors in parallel (extend this to 3 resistors)?

The resistance is not the same if the pieces are connected in parallel.

Resistors connected in parallel follow the law

1/(R.total)=1/(R.1)+1/(R.2)+1/(R.3)...

Where R.total is the total resistanse and R.1 is the resistanse of the first resistor, R.2 is the resistanse of the second resistor etc. etc.

thanks figured that one out, can you help me with the second one?

Assume the same voltage across both resistors.
Then V=IR for the known and I =V/R for the unknown.
(it should also be obvious how to skip a step)

1. What is a "short electricity problem"?

A short electricity problem refers to a temporary disruption or interruption in the flow of electricity, which can occur due to various reasons such as power outages, faulty wiring, or damaged electrical equipment.

2. How can I tell if I am experiencing a short electricity problem?

You can tell if you are experiencing a short electricity problem by checking if any of your electrical devices are not functioning properly, if your lights are flickering, or if you can hear a buzzing or crackling sound coming from your outlets.

3. What should I do if I encounter a short electricity problem?

If you encounter a short electricity problem, the first step is to check your circuit breaker and see if any switches have tripped. If so, you can try resetting the switch. If the problem persists, it is best to contact a licensed electrician to assess and fix the issue.

4. Can a short electricity problem cause damage to my appliances?

Yes, a short electricity problem can potentially cause damage to your appliances, especially if the problem is not resolved quickly. The sudden surge of electricity can cause your appliances to overheat or malfunction, leading to potential damage.

5. Are there any preventive measures I can take to avoid short electricity problems?

Yes, there are some preventive measures you can take to avoid short electricity problems, such as regularly checking and maintaining your electrical system, avoiding overloading your outlets, and using surge protectors for your electronic devices.

Suggested for: Short electricity problem

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies