Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short Informal Survey

1. May 20, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I would appreciate any type of feedback to this short informal survey.

1. True or False: Before visiting ecommerce sites do you have a preconcived idea on what you are going to purchase?

2. On ecommerce sites which do you use more often: Category Navigation or Search?

3. True or False: Would you find it useful to do multi-item searches concurrently on ecommerce sites?

4. Where do you prefer navigation controls on a website: Left, Center or Right?

5. On ecommerce sites do you spend time browsing or do you just buy what you need and leave?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. True
    2 Search
    3 False
    4 left? [no particular preference]
    5 Get what I need and leave

4. May 20, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. true
    2. both*
    3. false
    4. left
    5. both*

If I browse, I use the catagory navigation
    If I have a specific idea, I use search

5. May 20, 2005 #4

jma2001

Gold Member

Almost always. The one big exception is Amazon.com, I sometimes spend hours browsing the 'related' links and Listmania lists looking for interesting books. The customer reviews are fun to read and add a lot of entertainment value to the site.

Search, by far. Category navigation is only useful when the categories are narrow enough to contain a manageable amount of items. If a category has 100+ items in it, and I have to do a search anyway to find what I am looking for, then what use is it?

Do you mean searching for multiple items on the same site, or searching for the same item across multiple sites (like a best price search)?

Left, only because that is the established standard.

I only browse extensively on Amazon.com, their design really encourages browsing, as I mentioned earlier.

Are you familar with Jakob Nielsen and useit.com? You should definitely check it out if you are interested in e-commerce usability. He addresses all of the questions you have raised here.

6. May 20, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

jma2001, thanks for the link.

By concurrent multi-item searches I mean: If you have a list of items you need (i.e. Grocercy List) you can just type all those items into one big form and the site will search for all the products at once and display each search result in a different tab rather than having to search for each item individually.

7. May 20, 2005 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. True - Before visiting ecommerce sites do you have a preconcived idea on what you are going to purchase?

2. Search On ecommerce sites which do you use more often: Category Navigation or Search?

3. False Would you find it useful to do multi-item searches concurrently on ecommerce sites?

4. Left Where do you prefer navigation controls on a website: Left, Center or Right?

5. Browse On ecommerce sites do you spend time browsing or do you just buy what you need and leave?

8. May 20, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

1. True - Before visiting ecommerce sites do you have a preconcived idea on what you are going to purchase?

2. Search On ecommerce sites which do you use more often: Category Navigation or Search? (but this is only because I usually can't easily or quickly find what I am looking for under category)

3. False Would you find it useful to do multi-item searches concurrently on ecommerce sites?

4. Left Where do you prefer navigation controls on a website: Left, Center or Right?

5. Browse On ecommerce sites do you spend time browsing or do you just buy what you need and leave?

9. May 20, 2005 #8

jma2001

Gold Member

That sounds potentially confusing, you would need to do usability testing to make something like that work. That's another subject that Jakob Nielsen discusses extensively on his site.

10. May 20, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same as Ivan.

11. May 20, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True

Category Navigation (unless I can't find the categories on the first page, then I search).

False

Right, but as long as they are easily found, it's not a strong preference.

Usually buy what I need and leave, but sometimes do some browsing after I find what I was looking for in the first place.

Hey, dduardo, you should cross-reference answers on this thread so you don't bother including data from the 31% of PFers who we know lie on surveys. :biggrin: :rofl:

12. May 20, 2005 #11
    True
    Search
    False (actually indifferent)
    Left
    Buy and leave

13. May 20, 2005 #12
    False---I can spend hours on Amazon or Digi-key looking for something
    Search
    False
    Left---Either corner really
    Browse

14. May 20, 2005 #13
    True - I usually have an idea of what I want.
    Both - Depends on if I am looking for a certain specific book, or just for good books on a certain subject
    Unsure - Depends on how well designed it was.
    Left
    Browse

15. May 21, 2005 #14

honestrosewater

Gold Member

1. True
    2. Search
    3. True
    4. Center
    5. Browse

http://www.usability.gov/ Yeah, it's the gov, but this is an exception ;) Edit: Oh, I can't resist- if you are looking for ideas, cssvault is fabulous.

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  16. May 21, 2005 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

1. Definitely. Before visiting ecommerce sites do you have a preconcived idea on what you are going to purchase?

2. Search. On ecommerce sites which do you use more often: Category Navigation or Search?

3. No, I take it one thing at a time. True or False: Would you find it useful to do multi-item searches concurrently on ecommerce sites?

4. Right. Where do you prefer navigation controls on a website: Left, Center or Right?

5. Browse. On ecommerce sites do you spend time browsing or do you just buy what you need and leave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?