Optics Question Solved: Image Location and Size of Robin in Convex Mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a convex mirror and a 13 cm robin sitting 2.1 m away from it. The question asks for the location and length of the image of the robin. The person initially uses the principle of 2f for the radius of a concave lens, but does not get the correct answer. They then realize that for a convex mirror, f and R are negative and are able to solve the problem.
raynor462
[SOLVED] Short optics question

Shiny lawn spheres placed on pedestals are convex mirrors. One such sphere has a diameter of 42 cm. A 13 cm robin sits in a tree 2.1 m from the sphere.
(a) Where is the image of the robin? in cm
b) How long is the robin's image? in cm
1/f=1/do+1/di
hi/ho=-di/do

Ok, I know that radius of a concave lens is 2f but when i use that principle i do not get the right answer...what i did is:
42/2=21=radius
21/2=10.5=focal length
1/10.5=1/210+1/x
x=11.0526 which was my answer for a which webassign says is wrong
once i get this answer part b is very easy as all i will have to do is x/13=-answer to part a/210
please help me figure out what i did wrong I am assuming that radius of a convex lens which is what is used in problem is not 2f but i have no clue what it is then and i tried googling it but could not find anything...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For a convex mirror, f (and R) are negative.

wow i got it thanks so much

1. What is the difference between short and long optics?

Short optics refer to optical systems with a focal length that is relatively short compared to the size of the system, while long optics have a focal length that is much larger. Short optics are typically used for wide angle and close range applications, while long optics are used for narrow angle and long range applications.

2. How are short optics used in everyday life?

Short optics are used in a variety of everyday applications, such as cameras, binoculars, and microscopes. They are also used in optical instruments for medical procedures, such as endoscopes and laser surgery equipment. Short optics are also used in consumer electronics like smartphones and virtual reality headsets.

3. What types of lenses are commonly used in short optics?

Short optics often use convex lenses, also known as converging lenses, which are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. These lenses are able to converge light rays and form real images. They may also use concave lenses, also known as diverging lenses, which are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. These lenses are able to diverge light rays and create virtual images.

4. Are there any limitations to using short optics?

One limitation of short optics is that they may have a narrower field of view compared to long optics. This means they may not be able to capture as much of the surrounding area in an image or view. Additionally, short optics may have a shorter depth of field, meaning objects outside of a certain distance may appear blurry.

5. How do short optics affect image quality?

The quality of an image produced by short optics depends on several factors, including the quality of the lenses, the design of the optical system, and the conditions under which the image is captured. In general, shorter focal lengths can result in wider angles of view, but may also introduce distortion or other aberrations in the image. Using high-quality lenses and carefully designing the optical system can help minimize these effects and improve image quality.