1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short Parabola Question

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1

2pi/3 the period right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2
    [tex]3sin(2\pi /3)-4=-3.89...[/tex]

It's not even a function (or a pretty boring one), it's a number And why do you associate a sine with a parabola?
  4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    I accidently made the assumption is was a parabola because the question asks for
    amplitude, period, phase shift, domain, range, and vertical shift (but I know you can do this for a sine graph to)

Do you know how to graph it on a graphing calculator? I do not recall how to solve this type of problem =(
  5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    Well as I said it's a pretty boring function, it's a number. It's just a straight horizontal (if you plot y on the vertical axis) line throught the point [tex]y=3sin(2\pi /3)-4=-3.89...[/tex]. I'm not sure it's meaningful to assign a period to it as it's not periodic.
  6. Jan 30, 2005 #5
    there must be a mistake in the question, I am sure the book does not want us to graph a straight line over one full cycle?

I think it should be 3sin(x (not 0) - 2pi/3) -4
    That would make much more sense

Thanks for your help will
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?