Solve a Short Parabola Question with 2π/3 Period | Example Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a function and finding its amplitude, period, phase shift, domain, range, and vertical shift, but the function turns out to just be a straight horizontal line and not a sine graph. There may be a mistake in the question and it is suggested that the function should be 3sin(x- 2pi/3) -4 instead. The person seeking help will have to wait until tomorrow to solve the problem.
tempeste
http://img158.exs.cx/img158/5127/prob9cx.jpg

2pi/3 the period right?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]3sin(2\pi /3)-4=-3.89...[/tex]

It's not even a function (or a pretty boring one), it's a number And why do you associate a sine with a parabola?

I accidently made the assumption is was a parabola because the question asks for
amplitude, period, phase shift, domain, range, and vertical shift (but I know you can do this for a sine graph to)

Do you know how to graph it on a graphing calculator? I do not recall how to solve this type of problem =(

Well as I said it's a pretty boring function, it's a number. It's just a straight horizontal (if you plot y on the vertical axis) line throught the point [tex]y=3sin(2\pi /3)-4=-3.89...[/tex]. I'm not sure it's meaningful to assign a period to it as it's not periodic.

there must be a mistake in the question, I am sure the book does not want us to graph a straight line over one full cycle?

I think it should be 3sin(x (not 0) - 2pi/3) -4
That would make much more sense

Thanks for your help will

Last edited:

1. What is a short parabola?

A short parabola is a type of curve that is formed by the graph of a quadratic equation. It is a symmetrical curve that resembles the letter "U".

2. How do you graph a short parabola?

To graph a short parabola, you need to identify the axis of symmetry, the vertex, and the x and y-intercepts. Then, plot these points on a coordinate grid and sketch the curve connecting them.

3. What is the equation of a short parabola?

The general equation of a short parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. The value of a determines the direction and width of the parabola, while the values of b and c affect its position on the coordinate grid.

4. How do you find the vertex of a short parabola?

The vertex of a short parabola is the highest or lowest point on the curve, depending on whether it opens upwards or downwards. To find the vertex, you can use the formula x = -b/2a to find the x-coordinate, and then substitute this value into the equation to find the y-coordinate.

5. What are some real-life applications of short parabolas?

Short parabolas are commonly used to model the paths of projectiles, such as the trajectory of a thrown ball. They are also used in architecture and engineering to design structures with curved shapes, such as bridges and arches.