Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Short Parabola Question

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    http://img158.exs.cx/img158/5127/prob9cx.jpg

2pi/3 the period right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2
    [tex]3sin(2\pi /3)-4=-3.89...[/tex]

It's not even a function (or a pretty boring one), it's a number And why do you associate a sine with a parabola?

4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    I accidently made the assumption is was a parabola because the question asks for
    amplitude, period, phase shift, domain, range, and vertical shift (but I know you can do this for a sine graph to)

Do you know how to graph it on a graphing calculator? I do not recall how to solve this type of problem =(

5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    Well as I said it's a pretty boring function, it's a number. It's just a straight horizontal (if you plot y on the vertical axis) line throught the point [tex]y=3sin(2\pi /3)-4=-3.89...[/tex]. I'm not sure it's meaningful to assign a period to it as it's not periodic.

6. Jan 30, 2005 #5
    there must be a mistake in the question, I am sure the book does not want us to graph a straight line over one full cycle?

I think it should be 3sin(x (not 0) - 2pi/3) -4
    That would make much more sense

Thanks for your help will

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook