Can I Do 2 PhDs in Different Subjects?

• Programs
  • Thread starter kurt.physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Short
In summary, it is possible to do two PhDs in different subjects with the consent of both departments. However, it is not a common practice and there may not be much point in pursuing two PhDs. It may be more beneficial to choose a research area that combines both subjects. Additionally, some universities may not allow students to obtain two PhDs sequentially. Changing fields completely and pursuing a PhD in a different subject is rare and may not be viewed favorably by potential employers. It may be more effective to gain experience in a new field through postdoctoral research.
kurt.physics
Can you do two PhDs in two different subjects? I am hoping that i can do a PhD in both theoretical/mathematical physics AND pure mathematics, is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

However, it relies on the consent of both departments.

Also, there's usually not much point to it...

Why not just choose a research area that let's you do both? Symplectic geometry and algebraic topology both have lots of applications in theoretical physics.

Why is it you want to do both.

Do you really want to graduate from school when you are 32 years old, making 40k with two relatively useless degrees (outside of academia)?

kurt.physics said:
Can you do two PhDs in two different subjects? I am hoping that i can do a PhD in both theoretical/mathematical physics AND pure mathematics, is that possible?

You could but why would want to?

Many universities - perhaps most - do not allow two PhDs, even sequentially. Which includes being accepted to PhD candidacy when one already has one.

Ignoring that for the moment, there's no point in two. One's next step is a postdoc, which only takes one. The step beyond that is based on what you've accomplished during your postdoc, not how many degrees you have racked up.

Once you have a Ph.D, there's not much damn point to another...they already know you know how to do (somewhat supervised) independent research. If you want to change or broaden your area of expertise after that, you have to do it like a professional academic, not like a student.

not too many departments will want to support you after you have finished your phd.

a phd is preparation to do research. so to pursue a second one may be taken as evidence you actually do not intend to do any research and they are wasting their time on you.

Chances are you can find a project that involves both areas. Lots of departments are open to interdepartmental work. When choosing a program make sure that you can get credit for courses taken from other departments (which in my experience is the norm rather than the exception). That way you can study what you're interested in.

You can always apply for a post-doc position that's at arm's length from your PhD field.

Are there any people with two PhDs in completely unrelated fields?

for example a middle-aged mathematician decides he wants to change fields completely and goes back and gets a PhD in History. Does this ever happen?

uman said:
Are there any people with two PhDs in completely unrelated fields?

for example a middle-aged mathematician decides he wants to change fields completely and goes back and gets a PhD in History. Does this ever happen?

Very, *very* rarely. Getting one Ph.D. is crazy, getting two is a sign of serious mental illness.

And I say that as a middlle-aged computer scientist planning on applying to physics programs in the fall... :smile:

Wow, I guess you are partly an example of what I was talking about, as Physics and Computer Science don't overlap much. However, I wonder if there is anyone who has two PhDs, one in a scientific subject and one in an artistic or literary subject.

Someone researching with me in my department already has a PhD and is doing a 2nd PhD here in amorphous silicon (possibly changing topic soon however).
I'll try get some details for you this week and put them on here, but this obviously wasn't seen as a problem or was a reason to not accept his application here (at an Australian uni).

IMO if you did two, you'd suck at both fields. Specialize!

1. Can I pursue two PhDs at the same time?

Technically, it is possible to pursue two PhDs at the same time, but it is not recommended. PhD programs require a significant amount of time and dedication, and attempting to complete two at once may lead to burnout and lower quality work.

2. Is it common to have two PhDs in different subjects?

No, it is not common to have two PhDs in different subjects. PhD programs typically require a high level of specialization in a specific field, and completing two PhDs in different subjects may not be practical or necessary for one's career goals.

3. Are there any benefits to having two PhDs in different subjects?

Having two PhDs in different subjects may demonstrate a diverse range of knowledge and skills, which could be beneficial in certain fields such as interdisciplinary research or academia. However, it may not necessarily provide a significant advantage over someone with a single PhD.

4. Can I use credits from one PhD towards another?

It depends on the individual university and program. Some universities may allow you to transfer credits from one PhD program to another, but others may not. It is important to check with the specific programs you are interested in to determine their policies on credit transfer.

5. Do I need to complete two separate dissertations for each PhD?

Yes, typically you would need to complete two separate dissertations for each PhD. The dissertation is a significant part of the PhD program and is expected to be a unique and original contribution to the field. Therefore, it is unlikely that you would be able to use the same dissertation for two separate PhDs.