Why is x/2 = 3/y a hyperbola?

• Thread starter dynamic998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, we need to find the third term in the expansion of (2x-y) to the third power, and the answer is 6xy^2. To understand why x/2 = 3/y is a hyperbola, we can do a coordinate transform and see that it is in the standard form for a hyperbola.
dynamic998
x/2 = 3/y. Can anyone explain why this is an hyperbola?

find the third term of the expansion (2x-y)to the third power.
I know u have to do the things with the combinations but all i get is 20xy² but the answer is 6xy². Can anyone help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
find the third term of the expansion (2x-y)to the third power.
I know u have to do the things with the combinations but all i get is 20xy?but the answer is 6xy? Can anyone help?

I think you mean to find the 3rd term in descending powers of x

Method 1:
(2x-y)3 = (Summation r from 0 to 3) C3r (2x)r (-y)3-r

So the third term
=C32(2x)(-y)2
=6xy2

Method 2:
You can expand (2x-y)3 directly.

To see that your first problem

x/2 = 3/y is a hyperbola, do a coordinate transform to rotate the coordinate axis by π/2 radians.

you will find that (let u & v be the new axis)

u=xcosθ + ysinθ
v=-xsinθ + ycosθ

Let θ = π/2

solve for x & y

x = (v-u)/sqrt(2) y=(v+u)/sqrt(2)

substituting this back into the origianal relationship gives

(v-u)(v+u)/2 =6

or

v*v - u*u = 12

This is the standard form for a hyperbola.

1. What is the purpose of asking short questions?

Short questions are used to quickly obtain specific information or clarification on a particular topic. They are also helpful in engaging in conversation and encouraging further discussion.

2. How do you form a good short question?

A good short question should be concise and direct, with a specific goal in mind. It should also be open-ended and not require a yes or no answer.

3. Can short questions be used in research?

Yes, short questions can be used in research as they can provide quick and targeted responses from participants. However, they should be used in conjunction with other forms of data collection for a more comprehensive understanding.

4. What are some examples of short questions?

Examples of short questions include "What is your name?", "How did you come up with that idea?", and "Can you explain that concept in simpler terms?"

5. Are short questions more effective than long questions?

It depends on the context and purpose. Short questions can be more effective in certain situations, such as in interviews or when trying to gather quick information. However, long questions may be necessary for more detailed and complex discussions or research.