Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short range transmissions

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    Hello guys,

I am totally new to EE and in need of info on a project I am working on. I am trying to broadcast a short range signal and the distance the signal can travel needs to be limited.

So lets say I want the signal to reach up to 600ft. I need it not to be easily received by other receivers at distances past that. I was just wondering if that even exists or what type of signal I should use, radio or otherwise.

Feel free to send me elsewhere too if this is not the proper forum to be asking these beginner questions.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2
    There are a lot of considerations in such a project besides range. One of the considerations is frequency. Will it be operating on one of the broadcast bands? Is this to be a campus based transmitter to broadcast only on campus?

Generally its very difficult to limit the range of a transmitter to a specific distance but there are a number of techniques that can be tried. It is important to know the frequency band, the transmit power, the antenna type and the antenna height you plan to use.

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3
    Please specify why you need limited range: security or interference or ? The respective solutions are vastly different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook