What type of signal should I use for limiting range to 600ft?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving broadcasting a short range signal with a desired range of 600ft. The speaker is seeking information on what type of signal to use and if it is possible to limit the signal's reception beyond the desired distance. Considerations such as frequency, power, and antenna type are mentioned, and the reason for needing limited range is also important in determining the best solution.
Lucille2
Hello guys,

I am totally new to EE and in need of info on a project I am working on. I am trying to broadcast a short range signal and the distance the signal can travel needs to be limited.

So let's say I want the signal to reach up to 600ft. I need it not to be easily received by other receivers at distances past that. I was just wondering if that even exists or what type of signal I should use, radio or otherwise.

Feel free to send me elsewhere too if this is not the proper forum to be asking these beginner questions.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a lot of considerations in such a project besides range. One of the considerations is frequency. Will it be operating on one of the broadcast bands? Is this to be a campus based transmitter to broadcast only on campus?

Generally its very difficult to limit the range of a transmitter to a specific distance but there are a number of techniques that can be tried. It is important to know the frequency band, the transmit power, the antenna type and the antenna height you plan to use.

Please specify why you need limited range: security or interference or ? The respective solutions are vastly different.

1. What are short range transmissions?

Short range transmissions refer to the wireless communication between devices that are within a close proximity of each other, typically within a range of 10 meters or less. This type of transmission is commonly used for devices such as Bluetooth headsets, wireless keyboards, and smart home devices.

2. How do short range transmissions work?

Short range transmissions use radio frequency signals to send and receive data between devices. The devices must be equipped with compatible transmitters and receivers, and they communicate through a process of pairing and establishing a connection. Once connected, the devices can exchange data in the form of audio, video, or other types of information.

3. What are the advantages of short range transmissions?

Short range transmissions offer several advantages, including low power consumption, ease of use, and low cost. They also do not require a network or internet connection, making them a convenient option for smaller devices that do not have access to these resources. Additionally, short range transmissions can be more secure than other forms of wireless communication, as the devices must be in close proximity to establish a connection.

4. What are some common uses for short range transmissions?

Short range transmissions are commonly used for connecting devices such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets to other devices like wireless speakers, fitness trackers, and smart home systems. They are also used for data transfer between devices, such as transferring photos from a camera to a computer or printing documents from a mobile device to a wireless printer.

5. Are there any limitations to short range transmissions?

One limitation of short range transmissions is their limited range, which can be a disadvantage for devices that need to communicate over longer distances. Additionally, the number of devices that can be connected at once may be limited, depending on the technology being used. Interference from other devices or physical barriers can also affect the quality and range of short range transmissions.