1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short Time Fourier Transform

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-integrable_function

According to the tutorial: it says
    g*(x) is the complex conjugate of g

but I can't get the idea from where this g(x) function comes, than why is it the complex conjugate?

And it seems i can't visualize the inner product space? Some practical example would help me a lot.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

The idea of square integrable functions is that the integral of the squared magnitude converges. For complex valued functions, |f(x)|^2 = ∫ f(x) f*(x) dx, which suggests a natural way to define both the "norm" and the "product" in the space of square integrable functions. You just say that the inner product <f, g> has to satisfy the property that |f|^2 = <f, f> and therefore <f, g> = ∫ f(x) g*(x) dx.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In particular, you want [itex]|f|= <f , f>[/itex]. Since the "norm" is defined as [itex]\int f(x)f^*(x)dx= <f,f>[/itex] the natural way to define the "inner product" of two such functions, f and g, is [itex]<f, g>= \int f(x)g^*(x)dx[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook