Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortage of toilet paper/tissue

1. May 27, 2005 #1

Mk

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050526/od_nm/toiletpaper_dc
    Shoppers in Finland raided shelves for toilet paper Wednesday in fear of it running out as a lockout of workers kept the Nordic country's paper mills shut.

Paper makers enforced a four-week lockout on May 18 following a two-day strike by workers. The dispute in the key export sector is mainly over industry's plans to scrap mill shutdowns during some holidays and on the use of outside labor. The lockout will continue at least until Monday when they are due meet again.

Someone here lives in Finland right? How's it going over there?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

He can't answer right now. He's using the mouse for something else.

4. May 27, 2005 #3

Mk

Left or right handed?

5. May 27, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Don't try to confuse me with "PC" crap. Mac guy, remember? One button means no waiting.

6. May 27, 2005 #5

Mk

Did that mean anything? Sorry I didn't get it.

7. May 27, 2005 #6
    We had a toilet paper shortage here back in the 70's. The truck drivers went on strike,no way to get the TP to the stores! People went crazy stockpiled mountians of TP!

8. May 27, 2005 #7
    Some are indeed hogging tp. And I bet they're going to feel stupid once retailers start importing it.

And besides I've got 2 and a half rolls left and I get the newspaper every morning. So I'll keep on crappin' like nuthin's happenin'.

9. May 27, 2005 #8

Mk

If you use newspaper why don't you just use leaves and sticks? They're much more eco-friendly, and throw them out the window. Instant fertilizer!

10. May 27, 2005 #9

Mk

Oh, and with sticks you can get an even more thorough clean.

11. May 27, 2005 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope it 's the new printer's ink. The old newsprint use to smear too easily.

Why, oh why :frown: did Sears and Roebuck have to start using glossy pages in their catalog? (That was the innovation that really started the toilet paper boom.)

12. May 27, 2005 #11

Mk

Glossy sounds more painful than thin newspaper! :surprised

13. May 27, 2005 #12
    Brilliant! There's actually some flowers and stuff growing right under my livingroom's window so I'd be doing a favor to all the residents here. Maybe I could get a few % off my rent in return.

14. May 27, 2005 #13

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

......... :rofl: ......... man, of course someone else puts up a thread about this, well, now the world knows one added interesting detail about Finland. I've been collecting leaves from my backyard in case the worst happens, I've 18 rolls left .... anyone care to send a new supply ? Stomach is feeling a bit loose so don't know how many days can survive. The horror :cry: .

But true ... one day all paper shelves had just emptied ... I may be thinking that some of my countrymen are perhaps a bit dorky, but well, what else is new .... but the real situation was a while ago when there was the possibility that liquor store clerks (we've one governmental chain holding a monopoly) might go on strike. Whoh !

...... but I think they're considering importing it, don't know where, from Sweden probably, hope you've the multilayered extra soft kind :confused:

15. May 27, 2005 #14
    Now that would have been a national crisis. The news shots were amusing. People were buying literally cases of vodka "just in case". I predict that a huge amount of home distilleries would have been up in no time had the strike started.

16. May 27, 2005 #15

Mk

......... :rofl: :rofl: .........

17. May 27, 2005 #16
    Leaves work well, hmmm does Finland have Poisen Ivy?

18. May 27, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much TP do the Finnish use?! A pack of 12 rolls can last me months! I always laugh when people start stockpiling things for the silliest reasons. Around here, they'll predict 4 inches of snow, and the supermarket shelves are cleared of EVERYTHING! It'll be melted the next day, but people run out and stock up as if they're going to be snowbound the entire winter. :eek: Or, for Y2K, in addition to everyone running out getting generators and batteries and candles, thinking we were suddenly going to be plunged into darkness, they were cleaning all the MILK off the store shelves. Yep, good plan, you're worried the power is going to go out, so stock up on perishable items that require refrigeration. :rofl: Then again, I was living in MI at the time and figured if the power went out, I'd just move the contents of the freezer onto the balcony and would be fine. :biggrin:

19. May 27, 2005 #18

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, as a rule if something is 'poisonous' or can sting you we've it :biggrin: .

12 rolls for months ... we must be doing something wrong, the closeness & "abundance" of paper mills has corrupted us :uhh: . Yeah, superfluous demands ... :grumpy:

20. May 27, 2005 #19

JamesU

Gold Member

Why don't you "recycle" the toilet paper :yuck: :biggrin:

21. May 27, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds possible; after all ...

There lived, by a river with a dam
    A Finnish paper-mill guy named Idestam
    Now he's got so much money
    He thought it would be funny
    To make a telephone with a webcam.

I dedicate this limerick to all ye Finns out there.

Wipe away :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?