Shortage of toilet paper/tissue

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary: Finland have Poisen Ivy?How much TP do the Finnish people use per capita?In summary, the Finnish people are stocking up on toilet paper in fear of a long-term lockout of workers. The shortage is due to industry plans to scrap shutdowns during some holidays and the use of outside labor. Some people are taking advantage of the situation by hoarding supplies. There is talk of importing TP from Sweden, but it is unclear if this will happen.
Mk
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050526/od_nm/toiletpaper_dc [Broken]
Shoppers in Finland raided shelves for toilet paper Wednesday in fear of it running out as a lockout of workers kept the Nordic country's paper mills shut.

Paper makers enforced a four-week lockout on May 18 following a two-day strike by workers. The dispute in the key export sector is mainly over industry's plans to scrap mill shutdowns during some holidays and on the use of outside labor. The lockout will continue at least until Monday when they are due meet again.

Someone here lives in Finland right? How's it going over there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
Someone here lives in Finland right? How's it going over there?
He can't answer right now. He's using the mouse for something else.

Left or right handed?

Mk said:
Left or right handed?
Don't try to confuse me with "PC" crap. Mac guy, remember? One button means no waiting.

Did that mean anything? Sorry I didn't get it.

We had a toilet paper shortage here back in the 70's. The truck drivers went on strike,no way to get the TP to the stores! People went crazy stockpiled mountians of TP!

Some are indeed hogging tp. And I bet they're going to feel stupid once retailers start importing it.

And besides I've got 2 and a half rolls left and I get the newspaper every morning. So I'll keep on crappin' like nuthin's happenin'.

If you use newspaper why don't you just use leaves and sticks? They're much more eco-friendly, and throw them out the window. Instant fertilizer!

Oh, and with sticks you can get an even more thorough clean.

inha said:
Some are indeed hogging tp. And I bet they're going to feel stupid once retailers start importing it.

And besides I've got 2 and a half rolls left and I get the newspaper every morning. So I'll keep on crappin' like nuthin's happenin'.
I hope it 's the new printer's ink. The old newsprint use to smear too easily.

Why, oh why :frown: did Sears and Roebuck have to start using glossy pages in their catalog? (That was the innovation that really started the toilet paper boom.)

Glossy sounds more painful than thin newspaper!

Mk said:
If you use newspaper why don't you just use leaves and sticks? They're much more eco-friendly, and throw them out the window. Instant fertilizer!

Brilliant! There's actually some flowers and stuff growing right under my livingroom's window so I'd be doing a favor to all the residents here. Maybe I could get a few % off my rent in return.

... :rofl: ... man, of course someone else puts up a thread about this, well, now the world knows one added interesting detail about Finland. I've been collecting leaves from my backyard in case the worst happens, I've 18 rolls left ... anyone care to send a new supply ? Stomach is feeling a bit loose so don't know how many days can survive. The horror :cry: .

But true ... one day all paper shelves had just emptied ... I may be thinking that some of my countrymen are perhaps a bit dorky, but well, what else is new ... but the real situation was a while ago when there was the possibility that liquor store clerks (we've one governmental chain holding a monopoly) might go on strike. Whoh !

... but I think they're considering importing it, don't know where, from Sweden probably, hope you've the multilayered extra soft kind :confused:

PerennialII said:
but the real situation was a while ago when there was the possibility that liquor store clerks (we've one governmental chain holding a monopoly) might go on strike. Whoh !

Now that would have been a national crisis. The news shots were amusing. People were buying literally cases of vodka "just in case". I predict that a huge amount of home distilleries would have been up in no time had the strike started.

PerennialII said:
... :rofl: ... man, of course someone else puts up a thread about this, well, now the world knows one added interesting detail about Finland. I've been collecting leaves from my backyard in case the worst happens, I've 18 rolls left ... anyone care to send a new supply ? Stomach is feeling a bit loose so don't know how many days can survive. The horror :cry: .

But true ... one day all paper shelves had just emptied ... I may be thinking that some of my countrymen are perhaps a bit dorky, but well, what else is new ... but the real situation was a while ago when there was the possibility that liquor store clerks (we've one governmental chain holding a monopoly) might go on strike. Whoh !

... but I think they're considering importing it, don't know where, from Sweden probably, hope you've the multilayered extra soft kind :confused:
... :rofl: :rofl: ...

Leaves work well, hmmm does Finland have Poisen Ivy?

How much TP do the Finnish use?! A pack of 12 rolls can last me months! I always laugh when people start stockpiling things for the silliest reasons. Around here, they'll predict 4 inches of snow, and the supermarket shelves are cleared of EVERYTHING! It'll be melted the next day, but people run out and stock up as if they're going to be snowbound the entire winter. :eek: Or, for Y2K, in addition to everyone running out getting generators and batteries and candles, thinking we were suddenly going to be plunged into darkness, they were cleaning all the MILK off the store shelves. Yep, good plan, you're worried the power is going to go out, so stock up on perishable items that require refrigeration. :rofl: Then again, I was living in MI at the time and figured if the power went out, I'd just move the contents of the freezer onto the balcony and would be fine. :biggrin:

Yeah, as a rule if something is 'poisonous' or can sting you we've it :biggrin: .

12 rolls for months ... we must be doing something wrong, the closeness & "abundance" of paper mills has corrupted us :uhh: . Yeah, superfluous demands ... :grumpy:

Why don't you "recycle" the toilet paper :yuck: :biggrin:

PerennialII said:
we must be doing something wrong, the closeness & "abundance" of paper mills has corrupted us :uhh: .
Sounds possible; after all ...

There lived, by a river with a dam
A Finnish paper-mill guy named Idestam
Now he's got so much money
He thought it would be funny
To make a telephone with a webcam.

I dedicate this limerick to all ye Finns out there.

Wipe away :biggrin:

Mk said:
Did that mean anything? Sorry I didn't get it.
First time I've seen this thread since my mouse post. I guess it's not as relevant now that I know you're a fellow MacAddict. Just pointing out that a Mac mouse is ambidextrous.

hypatia said:
Yeah, but it's harmless. The poison variety, on the other hand, can give one a nasty surprise. (And confuse the hell out of the folks at the free clinic.)

hypatia said:
Speaking of painful substitutions for TP...

http://img210.echo.cx/img210/9145/image001toiletpaper5fi.jpg

That's going to hurt in the morning

SOS2008 said:
Speaking of painful substitutions for TP...
Distributed by the Preparation H people in aid of expanding their client base?

yomamma said:
That's going to hurt in the morning
in the morning? that's going to hurt right now!

1 said:
in the morning? that's going to hurt right now!

But it sure will guarantee you're clean! :bugeye: :eek: :bugeye:

Danger said:
Distributed by the Preparation H people in aid of expanding their client base?
Dang it, you caught on to my marketing plan (which evolved from the hand-held MRI and the anti-MRI helmet). Here's another one of my latest marketing ideas I put together for a client in the plumbing business:

http://img15.echo.cx/img15/5810/plumbingtruck4aj.jpg

Now I'm trying to think how to connect their services to include "arse shredder" repairs (hmm). :confused:

SOS2008 said:
Here's another one of my latest marketing ideas I put together for a client in the plumbing business:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's ingenious.

SOS2008 said:
Now I'm trying to think how to connect their services to include "arse shredder" repairs (hmm). :confused:
I can't think of many parts that would need to be repaired. A good hosing-down once in a while should do it.

Cheese-grater Toilet-paper $10 for six rolls!

yomamma said:
Cheese-grater Toilet-paper $10 for six rolls!
So this is where the term 'cut the cheese' comes from?

Danger said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's ingenious.
Agreed! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can't think of many parts that would need to be repaired. A good hosing-down once in a while should do it.
Speaking of which, a good hosing down once in a while would solve the lack of paper problem as well. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Agreed! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Speaking of which, a good hosing down once in a while would solve the lack of paper problem as well. :biggrin:
In some countries they have a hose attachment from the plumbing for this purpose (better than a bidet). But cold water is unpleasant, so I thought what if the water could be heated through electrical coils. But then your butt might be boiled instead of shredded. Anyway, if anyone here in PF decides to design the product, I hope they will keep me in mind for the marketing. :biggrin:

http://www.advancedtoilets.com/index.html

SOS2008 said:
But cold water is unpleasant, so I thought what if the water could be heated through electrical coils. But then your butt might be boiled instead of shredded.
Not to mention electrocuted.

Gokul43201 said:
Sounds possible; after all ...

There lived, by a river with a dam
A Finnish paper-mill guy named Idestam
Now he's got so much money
He thought it would be funny
To make a telephone with a webcam.

I dedicate this limerick to all ye Finns out there.

Wipe away :biggrin:

Thank you for successfully condensing the last century of Finnish history. Ok, I'll print this for concrete use if the worst happens :biggrin: ... the other options appear slightly appalling, although ingenious.

PerennialII said:
Thank you for successfully condensing the last century of Finnish history.
Didn't expect most folks would get it...ecxept for the Scandinavians, of course.

Back