What happens when you shortcircuit a pn diode?

• Thread starter Tsunami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment of shortcircuiting a pn diode and the potential outcomes. It also mentions the idea of using a diode as a power source and the limitations of generating power from devices in equilibrium. The conversation also brings up the concept of a MOSFET and its operation.
Tsunami
A thought experiment: (note that this comes from a student with only amateur experience in solid state physics)

suppose you could shortcircuit a pn diode... ie you just link a wire between both ends, or maybe even bend the pn diode in a ring (so you'd have a n-surface between two p-surfaces, and a p-surface between two n-surfaces).

What would you get?

Based on that second idea, I was thinking something among the lines of : you'd get two depletion areas at both ends, with a width that's equal to half of the width you'd get from a single end connection.

I'm having problems with realizing what the differences in characteristics are between the 'internal potential' of the diode, evoked by the difference in free electron concentration (I hope that's an ok interpretation) , and the 'external potential', evoked by the source. I understand how the external potential can 'amplify' or 'lessen' the diode effect - that's somewhat like simple charge induction - however, when I try to combine the idea of the diode and the external potential as in above experiment, I get stuck. Maybe it would help if someone showed me convincingly why a diode can't be used as a power source.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tsunami said:
A thought experiment: (note that this comes from a student with only amateur experience in solid state physics)

suppose you could shortcircuit a pn diode... ie you just link a wire between both ends, or maybe even bend the pn diode in a ring (so you'd have a n-surface between two p-surfaces, and a p-surface between two n-surfaces).

What would you get?

You may want to look into what a solid-state transistor is. These are either npn or pnp junctions.

Zz.

A transistor is not really the same as shortcircuiting a diode I think..

There is little if any free charges in a semiconductor. Short circiuting a diode by itself will do nothing.

Tsunami said:

What would you get?

Based on that second idea, I was thinking something among the lines of : you'd get two depletion areas at both ends, with a width that's equal to half of the width you'd get from a single end connection.

I'm having problems with realizing what the differences in characteristics are between the 'internal potential' of the diode, evoked by the difference in free electron concentration (I hope that's an ok interpretation) , and the 'external potential', evoked by the source. I understand how the external potential can 'amplify' or 'lessen' the diode effect - that's somewhat like simple charge induction - however, when I try to combine the idea of the diode and the external potential as in above experiment, I get stuck. Maybe it would help if someone showed me convincingly why a diode can't be used as a power source.

if you had come up with this idea like 40/50 years back, you would have the same financial capacity like Bill Gates.

Google for MOSFET or look at my latest entries in my journal. In the very last one i explain (briefly) two of the three stages of MOSFET operation : ie accumulation, depletion and inversion

regards
marlon

Maybe it would help if someone showed me convincingly why a diode can't be used as a power source.
Actually a diode can be used as a power source if you drive it out of equilibrium by an external light source. On the other hand, no power can be generated by any device in equilibrium- it should obey to the first and second law of thermodynamics.

marlon said:
if you had come up with this idea like 40/50 years back, you would have the same financial capacity like Bill Gates.

Google for MOSFET or look at my latest entries in my journal. In the very last one i explain (briefly) two of the three stages of MOSFET operation : ie accumulation, depletion and inversion

regards
marlon

Thank you very much - but I have to give the credit to a guy from my class. He came up with the original idea, I simply came up with the ring experiment.

(And I'll be sure to read your journal as soon as I have the time... my vacation seems to be more hectic than the rest of the year.)

1. What is shortcircuiting a pn diode?

Shortcircuiting a pn diode is the process of intentionally creating a low resistance path between the p and n regions of a diode, effectively bypassing the diode's normal functioning.

2. Why would someone want to shortcircuit a pn diode?

Shortcircuiting a pn diode can be useful for testing or troubleshooting purposes, as it allows for a direct measurement of the diode's characteristics. It can also be used in certain circuit designs to achieve specific effects.

3. What are the potential risks of shortcircuiting a pn diode?

Shortcircuiting a pn diode can cause excessive current to flow through the diode, potentially damaging it. It can also affect the performance of the circuit it is a part of, as the diode's normal function is bypassed.

4. How is shortcircuiting a pn diode different from reverse biasing?

Shortcircuiting a pn diode creates a low resistance path between the p and n regions, while reverse biasing involves applying a voltage in the opposite direction of the diode's natural flow. Shortcircuiting does not involve applying a voltage, but rather creating a direct connection.

5. Can any pn diode be shortcircuited?

No, not all pn diodes can be shortcircuited. Some diodes are designed to have a high breakdown voltage, which means they can withstand a high reverse voltage without being damaged. Attempting to shortcircuit these diodes may result in damage to the diode or the circuit it is a part of.