Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortcuts to other Forums

1. Jun 22, 2013 #1

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you're on a thread or forum and want to go to another forum, do you have to go back up to the main page and back down again? For example, say I'm on a thread in the current events forum. There's a series of links across the top that says:
    Physics Forums > PF Lounge > General Discussion

So if I want to go to one of the engineering forums for example, I have to hit "Physics Forums", scroll down the page, then click on the forum I want to go into.

Instead, it would be nice to click on the button "Physics Forums" where for example, a drop down menu allowed you to select any of the sub-forums instead of having to load the Physics Forum page before dropping down. That would include a way to go into all the sub-forums too such as the Automotive Engineering forum with just one click. Basically, create a way to have a single click to enter any of the forums or sub-forums from any page. Or is that already a feature I've never noticed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2013 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

I've made a folder on my bookmarks bar that has the structure you're talking about. Within this folder, I have subfolders that contain links to each subtopic and other folders for sections that have even more subtopics (i.e. General Discussion).

For example:

PF (name of link on bookmarks toolbar) -> mouseover GD folder -> link to GD and other folders for Current Events, Relationships, etc.

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3
    It's a good idea. Give me some time to consider it. thanks!

5. Jun 26, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Another forum that I visit regularly has a dropdown menu of all forums at the top of the page. It's like the menu that PF mentors see for "Destination Forum" when they move a thread. I don't remember if there's a similar menu elsewhere that's visible to all members.

6. Jun 26, 2013 #5
    A long time ago we had the "Forum Jump" drop down menu, but it was a very ugly and inelegant solution.

7. Jun 26, 2013 #6
    I've now added a forum jump drop down menu to the "Physics Forums" part of the breadcrumb.

8. Jun 26, 2013 #7

Evo

Love it Greg, thanks!!

9. Jun 26, 2013 #8

Borek

Nice one!

10. Jun 26, 2013 #9
    fyi, it only works if you are logged in

11. Jun 26, 2013 #10
    Could you add the "middle click button" thingie? I mean, I like to open stuff in new tabs, and I do it by clicking on the mid button from my mouse. It doesn't work with the dropdown menu tho.

12. Jun 26, 2013 #11
    There is no standard middle click functionality to add. You could right click and select "open in new tab".

13. Jun 26, 2013 #12

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hate it, sorry. It breaks the intended UI purpose of a breadcrumb. When I click on 'Physics Forums', I expect to be taken to the main page. Immediately, in one click.

Why not put some kind of icon before the breadcrumb (i.e. to the left of it) that brings up this drop-down, and leave the breadcrumb to do its intended thing? Make an icon about as long horizontally as the word "physics", and it will be an easy click target for people who like the drop-down functionality.

14. Jun 26, 2013 #13

Dembadon

Gold Member

Click the "Physics Forums" title at the top of the page written in white letters.

15. Jun 26, 2013 #14
    Alternatively we could add the drop down to "Forums" in the navbar.

edit: i appears others are feeling confused too. I'll add it to the Forum link in the navbar.

16. Jun 26, 2013 #15

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awesome, thanks! I think the Forums button makes more sense.

17. Jun 26, 2013 #16

Evo

Where did it go? Now I can't find the drop down. It was working fine before. If you wanted the main forum page, you clicked "forums", if you wanted the drop down, you clicked the link below.

18. Jun 26, 2013 #17
    Should be ready in 10min, in the meantime some funky things may happen

19. Jun 26, 2013 #18

Dembadon

Gold Member

/puts on helmet

20. Jun 26, 2013 #19

Evo

Yes, very funky, things are moving and flashing. :surprised

21. Jun 26, 2013 #20
    Middle-clicks worked for me- both the Physics Forums crumb and the links on the menu.

Firefox 21.0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook