1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest balmer series photon

1. May 10, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have this problem that asks me to compute the shortest wavelength in each of these hydrogen spectral series: Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, and Brackett and to compute the energy for each. Im looking at the equations associated with each and it seems as if the wavelength can become infinitely small so there would be no answer for this. What am i missing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A lot.Write Rydberg's formula not in terms of the frequency number,but in terms of wavelength.U'll see what to do then.

Daniel.

4. May 10, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I do it in terms of wavelength and was still lost but...

I think my 6 months away from the idea of limits screwed me up here. I notice the first few n's and the wavelength is getting smaller and smaller and i assumed wow, its getting smaller and smaller, it must become infinitely small! Then i realized that only one part of the equation goes towards 0 and that the wavelength actually exists and bleh, now my homework wont look as empty as usual :D And yes, i did realize what the answer now is.

5. May 10, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,the shortest wavelength means the highest energy of the emitted photon.I have a hunch,u'll have to set something to go to infinity.And since that something in involved in a denominator,everything will be okay;

Daniel.

6. May 10, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah, whole limits things seemed to have went bye bye after last semester. I got it now though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?