1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest distance?

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    shortest distance??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the shortest distance of y=x^2 from (4,0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

if y=x^2, then
    y'=2x

where x=4
    the slope is 8

the solution is

y=8(x-4)
    if that is the tangent line \, the normal line would be

y=(1/8)(x-4)

after that.. i'm stuck!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way is to write out the Euclidian distance from vector [x, x^2] to vector [4, 0], then minimize w/r/t x.

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

EnumaElish, what rhey is trying to do is, I believe, more fundamental and a "nicer" method.

The shortest distance from (4,0) to y= x2 will be along the line that is perpendicular to the graph. HOWEVER, rhey, x= 4 is for the point (4, 0), not any point on the graph! Let [itex](x_0, x_0^2)[/itex] be the point on y= x2 closest to (4, 0). The derivative there, and the slope of the tangent line, is 2x0 so the slope of the normal line is [itex]-1/(2x_0)[/itex]. The equation of the line through (4, 0), perpendicular to y= x2 at [itex](x_0,x_0^2)[/itex] is [itex]y= -1/(2x_0)(x- 4)[/itex]. If that is to pass through [itex](x_0, x_0^2)[/itex], you must have y= [itex]x_0^2= -1/(2x_0)(x_0- 4)[/itex]. Solve that equation for x0 and you are almost done!

Hmm, that leads to a rather difficult equation for x0! Darn it, EnumaElish may be right!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  5. Nov 27, 2007 #4
    i really cant understand what are u trying to tell me.. honestly, i'm not that good in math! but i'm trying..

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5
    1) Setup an equation for distance between point (0,4) and the function, [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex]

[tex]d = \sqrt{(x_2 - x_1)^2 - (y_2 - y_1)^2}[/tex]
    [tex]d = \sqrt{(x_2 - 4)^2 - (y_2)^2}[/tex]
    [tex]d = \sqrt{(x_2 - 4)^2 - (x_2)^4}[/tex]

2) Take the derivative of d and set it equal to zero

[tex]d' = 0 = \frac{4(x_2)^3 - 2(x_2 - 4)}{2\sqrt{(x_2 - 4)^2 - (x_2)^4}}[/tex]
    [tex]0 = 4(x_2)^3 - 2(x_2 - 4)[/tex]
    [tex]4(x_2)^3 = 2(x_2 - 4)[/tex]
    [tex]{x_2}^3 = x_2 - 4[/tex]

As others have said, the problem is still difficult to solve from here...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  7. Nov 28, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, as EnumaElish said, it's far easier to minimize the square of the distance, not the distance itself! Oh, and it should be y- 4, not x- 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?