1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest Distance

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1

Air

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the shortest distance from the origin to the curve [tex]x^2+2xy+y^2=150[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex], [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

3. The problem I'm occuring
    I'm not sure how to start is thus can't attempt it. I would have used the Lagrange theory but that would give the max point and I also don't have the constraint so cannot use it. For a start, can someone suggest how I would start. Any methods? I have to use partial differentiation.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2
    You can use Lagrange's multiplier method to find maxima as well as minima. Apply it to the distance squared function f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 with the constraint x^2+2xy+y^2=150.

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3

Air

I have reached a point of confusion...

[tex]f(x,y) = x^2+y^2[/tex]
    [tex]g(x,y) = x^2+2xy+y^2=150[/tex]

[tex]\mathrm{Equation 1: }2x - \lambda (2x + 2y) = 0 \implies \lambda = \frac{2x}{2x+2y}[/tex]
    [tex]\mathrm{Equation 2: }2y - \lambda (2x + 2y) = 0 \rightarrow 2y - \left( \frac{2x}{2x+2y}\right) (2x + 2y ) = 0 \rightarrow 2x+2y = 0 \implies y=x[/tex]

Into constraint equation to solve for value of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex].
    [tex]\therefore y^2 + 2y^2 y^2 = 150 \implies y = \pm \sqrt{\frac{150}{4}} = x[/tex]

Which gives many solutions. How can I saw which is the shortest distance?

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4
    Well, you got two solutions: [tex](\sqrt{150}/2,\sqrt{150}/2)[/tex] and [tex](-\sqrt{150}/2,-\sqrt{150}/2)[/tex]. Both have the same distance from the origin, compute it and you have the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook