1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest distance

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    In euclidean geometry I believe the shortest distance is the perpendicular one. Can this be proven or is it a definition?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2
    Depends on your definition of a line. If it's a function with a constant slope, it can be proven with calculus of variations, I think. I don't think in Euclidian Geometry a line's rigorously defined.

EDIT: Never mind, I though you were asking if it could be proven that the shortest distance between two points is a line. See scurty's answer for a better reply

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    Not enough clarification here. Do you mean the shortest distance from a point not on a line to the line itself? I imagine it can be solved by considering the perpendicular line and another line emanating from the point. You will have a right triangle and the other line not perpendicular is the hypotenuse of the triangle, so therefore longer.

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The length of the hypotenuse, c, of a right triangle, with legs a and b, satisfies [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2[/itex] and so the hypotenuse is loner than either leg. Do you see why that means that the perpendicular line (one of the legs) is shorte than any othe line? (Ahh- that's essentially what scurty said.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook