1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest mirror that will work

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    Shortest mirror that will work....

1. How long does a "full length" mirror have to be to allow you to see your whole body? What is the shortest mirror that will work? How should a mirror be positioned? :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, exactly, have you done so far?

4. Oct 11, 2005 #3
    I haven't actually taken out a mirror to experiment with, if that's what you are asking.

5. Oct 11, 2005 #4
    This is a bonus question on a test and I am not sure if there is a definite answer for it or not.

6. Oct 11, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wasn't asking whether you had taken out a mirror. You asked a question in the homework section and it's reasonable to expect you to show some of your work if you expect help - per house rules.

7. Oct 11, 2005 #6
    I see. We just covered optics in class, so I am trying to demonstrate my answer with ray diagrams and show with arrows the light rays from the image (me) to the mirror and back to my eye. Not sure what the distance and the angles are though.

8. Oct 11, 2005 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Unless I miss my guess, you should discover that distances and angles are effectively irrelevant - you'll be able to make a general case that uses algebra instead of numbers.

9. Oct 11, 2005 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your ray diagrams should reveal that if the (flat) mirror is vertical then it should be half your height. And if you can see that then you will know "how it should be positioned."

10. Oct 11, 2005 #9
    I just tried setting up a proportion equation to see if that would help. (size of the mirror/how much of my body I can see.)

This is random but can't I say that I could just stand on a mirror and see my whole body that way?!?:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?