Shortest mirror that will work

In summary, the conversation is discussing the shortest mirror that will allow someone to see their whole body. The person asking the question is unsure if there is a definite answer and is inquiring about the necessary distance and angles for the mirror. The other person suggests using ray diagrams and algebra to find a general solution, and also mentions that if the mirror is vertical, it should be half of the person's height. The conversation ends with a humorous suggestion to stand on a mirror to see the whole body.
parya23
Shortest mirror that will work...

1. How long does a "full length" mirror have to be to allow you to see your whole body? What is the shortest mirror that will work? How should a mirror be positioned? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, have you done so far?

I haven't actually taken out a mirror to experiment with, if that's what you are asking.

This is a bonus question on a test and I am not sure if there is a definite answer for it or not.

I wasn't asking whether you had taken out a mirror. You asked a question in the homework section and it's reasonable to expect you to show some of your work if you expect help - per house rules.

I see. We just covered optics in class, so I am trying to demonstrate my answer with ray diagrams and show with arrows the light rays from the image (me) to the mirror and back to my eye. Not sure what the distance and the angles are though.

parya23 said:
Not sure what the distance and the angles are though.
Unless I miss my guess, you should discover that distances and angles are effectively irrelevant - you'll be able to make a general case that uses algebra instead of numbers.

Your ray diagrams should reveal that if the (flat) mirror is vertical then it should be half your height. And if you can see that then you will know "how it should be positioned."

I just tried setting up a proportion equation to see if that would help. (size of the mirror/how much of my body I can see.)

This is random but can't I say that I could just stand on a mirror and see my whole body that way?!?:

1. What is the shortest mirror that will work?

The shortest mirror that will work depends on the purpose and location of the mirror. In general, a mirror should be large enough to reflect the entire face or body of a person, so the minimum recommended size is usually around 12 inches in diameter.

2. Can a small mirror work just as well as a larger one?

Yes, a smaller mirror can work just as well as a larger one as long as it is able to reflect the desired image. However, a larger mirror may provide a wider field of view and better overall reflection quality.

3. What materials are commonly used for making mirrors?

The most commonly used material for making mirrors is glass, which is coated with a thin layer of reflective metal. Other materials such as aluminum, silver, and copper can also be used for the reflective coating.

4. Does the shape of the mirror affect its functionality?

Yes, the shape of the mirror can affect its functionality. A flat mirror will reflect an image with the same size and orientation as the object being reflected, while a concave mirror can magnify or enlarge an image. A convex mirror, on the other hand, will reflect an image with a wider field of view.

5. How do I determine the best location for a mirror?

The best location for a mirror depends on its intended use. For personal use, a mirror should be placed at a height and angle that allows for a clear and comfortable reflection. For decorative purposes, a mirror can be placed strategically to enhance the overall aesthetic of a room.