Shortest Path to a PhD in Math or Theoretical Physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter ahsanxr
  • Start date
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
When I did my BSc(Hons) in 1993, that was the only thing available, they did have the MMath and MPhys coming in and we were told that the new undergraduate masters was worth an old BSc(Hons) +6 months of extra study. As someone pointed out before, in america there are general education requirements for the degrees whereas in the UK (and the university I went to was the exception) all you study in your degree is your degree subject, so typically british undergraduates come out knowing more about their subject than american students do.

However, it stops there. I personally think that the graduate system in the US is superior to that of the UK, sure both will have lectures that they have to do but the mathematical education that US students get get will be deeper and boarder than that of a UK PhD student. The way that most PhDs work in the UK is that you are initially enrolled as an MPhil student and then after a year you submit a transfer thesis (and possibly take some exams) for you to be but as a PhD student. You then spend the next two (or two and a half) years solely working on your thesis topic.

However, what no one has mentioned here is that if you are really really gifted then you may submit your thesis up to a year early, but I will also point out that this is very rare indeed.

I've read all of your posts, thanks a lot for the advice everyone. So after some thought about a possible route, I've made a follow-up thread which asks for advice on it. It would be great if some of you, especially UKers could take a look and reply:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3461282