• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Job Skills Should a resume include a "summary" section?

• Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date

Anachronist

Gold Member
Some suggested “Objectives” for entry level folk’s resumes:

• To demonstrate how being a vintner is completely unlike being a DJ.
• To find the dead Avengers in my cubicle.
• To do your every bidding, so long as it’s work related and seems reasonable given the circumstances.
• To lose my freshman fifteen lifting hard problems.

A suggested “Objectives” to avoid:
• Getting a job at your company doing the thing you advertised.
I admit that would get my attention.

And DON'T put the heading "Objective" or "Professional Summary" at the top. Just put your contact information and below that, introduce yourself. I don't care if it's an objective or a professional summary, I want to know who you are. Your first sentences in your resume should answer MY questions "What's in this for me? Why should I be interested?" No need to waste space with a heading. As someone who has read probably a thousand resumes while evaluating candidates, a redundant heading is annoying.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ultimately , I think a wanted ad can be framed this way: we ( the company) have a problem/ need that must be met. Your cv and application must convince them you( hiring you) is /are the solution. Still, you may want to make sure you include some key words from the ad in your CV or it will not be considered.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Realistic question is, what do the principals want to see in a resume and in what way do they want to see it, in relation to a Summary statement with or without a heading. Next, are the educational institutions like high schools and colleges/universities cultivating this in their instruction for the writing of resumes?

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Realistic question is, what do the principals want to see in a resume and in what way do they want to see it, in relation to a Summary statement with or without a heading. Next, are the educational institutions like high schools and colleges/universities cultivating this in their instruction for the writing of resumes?
Resume styles and formats are like belly buttons, everyone has one and their all round pretty much sums up what you need to know about resumes. The key is to find a style/format that fits with the type of position that you're looking for. The OP has an undergraduate degree, so their resume has to fit into that style or they'll look like their embellishing their accomplishments. An objective statement with their experience and education is pretty much all that they need. For a programmers resume, a link to their github projects might be in order, you get the drift.

I've interacted with some college students in the recent past and they all ask, what do they need to put into their resume to get noticed, it is a pretty universal question.