Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Should be easy, but I got stuck!

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    Completely stuck with this:

[tex]\int_0^\infty sin^{2008} x dx[/tex]

Any help on how to tackle this please?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you tried? (And are you sure you wrote it correctly?)

4. Aug 25, 2008 #3
    Thanks for you prompt reply,

Yes it's written correctly. I've tried a formula that I found in a book, that says it is:

1*3*5*...*(n-1)/2*4*6*...*(n) * pi

But it just can't be as simple as that... I'm sure this is a tricky question.

5. Aug 25, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hmm, I have to say that doesn't seem particular plausible. Think of the area under the graph of [tex]\sin^{2008} x[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex]. Did you mistype the integral limits?

6. Aug 25, 2008 #5
    Ok, I have re-checked it, I had it wrong, it is from 0 to pi. Sorry guys.

[tex]\int_0^\pi sin^{2008} x dx[/tex]

Still buffed though!

7. Aug 25, 2008 #6
    Hmm well you could apply the usual methods for starting these integrals. Consider breaking down the integral into two (one with limits of integration of 0 to pi/2 and another of pi/2 to pi). Then consider the symmetry of sin(x) to realize that these two integrals are equal. Then try a substitution involving the identity cos(x) = sin(pi/2 - x).

But then again in this case it might complicate the problem. Is there an easy way to factor sin2008(x) + cos2008(x)

8. Aug 26, 2008 #7
    I would suggest you try integration by parts to derive a recursion formula for

[tex]
    I_n=\int_0^\pi{dx \sin^nx}
    [/tex]

Then you can solve this recursion formula and plug in n=2008.

9. Aug 26, 2008 #8
    I have seen that recursion formula before and I can tell you without remembering the specifics that 2008 is a high enough number that this approach will probably be not very pleasant.

10. Aug 26, 2008 #9

I can tell you that the result is not very pleasant:smile:

11. Aug 26, 2008 #10
    Haha, well I didn't mean to be rude, since my approach seemed to get no where. I forgot that [tex]a^n + b^n[/tex] cannot really be factored readily.

12. Aug 26, 2008 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex](2n-1)\int_0^{\pi}\,sin^{2n}x\,dx[/tex]

[tex]=\ (2n-1)\int_0^{\pi}\,sin^{2n-2}x\,dx\ -\ \int_0^{\pi}\,(2n-1)\,sin^{2n-2}x\,cos^2xdx[/tex]

[tex]=\ (2n-1)\int_0^{\pi}\,sin^{2n-2}x\,dx\ -\ [sin^{2n-1}x\,cosx]_0^{\pi}\ -\ \int_0^{\pi}\,sin^{2n}x\,dx[/tex]

So [tex]\int_0^{\pi}\,sin^{2n}x\,dx\ =\ \frac{2n-1}{2n}\,\int_0^{\pi}\,sin^{2n-2}x\,dx[/tex] :smile:

13. Aug 27, 2008 #12
    Yes, and the same works if you take n instead of 2n.:smile:

14. Aug 27, 2008 #13

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

probability …

Is [tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\,\int_0^\pi sin^{2008} x dx[/tex]

the probability of tossing a coin 2008 times :rolleyes: and getting exactly 1004 heads?

If so, why … ? :confused:

([tex]\int_0^\pi sin^m x dx[/tex] is rational for odd m, and a rational multiple of π for even m)

15. Aug 27, 2008 #14
    How can it be? Tossing a coin is a discrete even -> discrete probability distribution function but integrals are analagous to continous ones. Or am I misunderstanding your question tiny-tim?

16. Aug 27, 2008 #15
    Well, maybe, Tiny-Tim just observed that the two quantities - the integral on the one hand, and the describes probability - are the same.

The probability of having k heads in 2k tosses is

[tex]
    p_{2k}=\left(\stackrel{2k}{k}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{2k}=\frac{(2k!)}{k!k!}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{2k}
    [/tex]

On the other hand, from the recursion formula described above one finds (using [itex]I_0=\pi[/itex])

[tex]
    \frac{1}{\pi}I_{2k}=\frac{(2k-1)!!}{(2k)!!}
    [/tex]

Now one can use the identites [itex](2k)!!=2^k k![/itex] and [itex](2k-1)!!=\frac{(2k)!}{2^k k!}[/itex] to find

[tex]
    \frac{1}{\pi}I_{2k} = \frac{(2k)!}{2^kk!2^kk!}=p_{2k}
    [/tex]

If the question were not about 2008 but some odd number, something similar would probably be true.

17. Aug 27, 2008 #16

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes … but why?

:cry: what does it all mean? :cry:

18. Aug 27, 2008 #17
    I don't know ....

19. Aug 27, 2008 #18
    Wow, thanks for all the answers!

I have done my research and from various books I have found the same answer as this. This is all fine, but I have a loooooooong way to reach the number 2008... So I am still confused.

20. Aug 27, 2008 #19
    See posts #7 and #15.

21. Aug 27, 2008 #20

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi siaosi! :smile:

The best thing to do, if you're confused by complicated equations, is to give things short names so that equatins look really simple.

In this case, define P2n = ∫0π sin2nx dx.

Then that equation was P2n =
    P2(n-1) (2n-1)/2n,​

which you can then see is
    P2(n-2) (2n-1)(2n-3)/2n(2n-2),​

and so on … until you reach P0, which you can easily work out! :smile:

Now can you see that there's a pattern … so you don't have to worry about making thousands of calculations! :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook