1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should be easy integration

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F(x) = sin ([tex]\int[/tex]0 to x sin ( [tex]\int[/tex] 0 to y sin^3(u) du) dy )

find F'(x)
    2. Relevant equations
    FTC

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the answer

cos ([tex]\int[/tex]0 to x sin ( [tex]\int[/tex] 0 to y sin^3(u) du) dt ) sin( [tex]\int[/tex] 0 to x sin^3(u) du) dy ) sin^3(x)?

because when you differentiate the integral, the function you get becomes with respect to the boundary variable and so the last terms become with respect to x and I have to differentiate them as well?

([tex]\int[/tex]0 to x sin ( [tex]\int[/tex] 0 to y sin^3(u) du) dy ) this becomes sin ( tex]\int[/tex] 0 to x sin^3(u) du), then since the integral in the argument is with respect to x, I must differentiate that as well to get sin^3(x)

thanks

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I doubt anyone can make sense of that. Use a little tex to make it readable. For example, you do an integral like this:

[tex] \int_{lower limit here}^{upper limit here} integrand\ dx [/itex]

To see what I did just click on it. You can copy and paste it and use it to post your question so we can read it.

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    thanks, I didn't know how to do that

anyway, I'm looking for the derivative of:

[tex]
    F(x) = sin(\int_{0}^{x} sin(\int_{0}^{y} sin^3(u)\ du)\ dy ) [/tex]

I'm pretty sure that it comes out to be:

[tex]
    F'(x) = [cos(\int_{0}^{x} sin(\int_{0}^{y} sin^3(u)\ du)\ dy ) \ dx] sin(\int_{0}^{x} sin^3(u)\ du) sin^3(x) [/tex]

But I'm not 100% clear about the steps. Why do I have to keep differentiating after I differentiate [tex] (\int_{0}^{x} sin(\int_{0}^{y} sin^3(u)\ du)\ dy ) [/tex] (from the chain rule)

Is it because when I differentiate the expression, [tex] sin(\int_{0}^{y} sin^3(u)\ du)\ dy ) [/tex], it is evaluated at x and so I must differentiate that expression? (since I am differentiating with respect to x)

thank you

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have an extra dx at the end of your F(x) that shouldn't be there.

Call

[tex]

g(x)= \int_{0}^{x} sin(\int_{0}^{y} sin^3(u)\ du)\ dy
    [/tex]

so your F(x) = sin(g(x)) and F'(x) = cos(g(x)) g'(x) by the chain rule.

Now by the fundamental theorem of calculus to get g'(x) you simply write the integrand in g(x) with the dummy variable y replaced by x:

[tex]g'(x) = sin(\int_{0}^{x} sin^3(u)\ du)[/tex]

Put those together; I think it is a bit different than what you wrote. It's late and I'm a little sleepy so check it. :zzz:

6. Jan 31, 2010 #5
    thanks, I noticed the extra dx. I left it there by accident after copying and pasting the integral latex code

by the chain rule it should be F'(x) = cos(g(x) )g'(x), but how come the answer has sin^3(x) at the end? is it wrong? (I got this answer from someone's notes, refer to post #3)
    thanks

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6
    forgive me for bumping.. but bump

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook