Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should Bush meet with Cindy Sheehan?

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    Should Bush take an hour from his busy vacation schedule and meet with the mother of an American soldier killed in Iraq?

Or should he just go on with his life?

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/08/14/20050814wacbushprotest.html

‘‘And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say.''

‘‘But,'' he added, ‘‘I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life.''

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why? Hes a busy man, why should he have to meet with her again?

He talked to her, she had her peace, she praised him, they partied, went into business together, blew up Poland, and now we're at this crap..... ok well... maybe they didnt party, but the rest is true! Ok ok... so they did party, i lied.

But no really, they already met, she loved him, he goes back to run the country, case closed.

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3
    Amazing, where do you get your information?

Here is a reprint from her local paper.

http://www.thereporter.com/republished/ci_2923921

Note that she had reservations about the war before the meeting. Her and her husband decided not to ask the president pointed questions.

Well I guess he won the argument and now she wants to ask those questions after Bush said that the nineteen reservists from Ohio died for a "Noble cause".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Should I have put a [Joke]....[/JOKE] aroudn the whole party and business and blowing up poland thing?

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No. For obvious, logical reasons, he can't meet one on one with every citizen of the US that asks. He cannot accept this request and deny others. Do we really expect the President of the US (regardless of who the President happens to be) to do this with every unhappy citizen personally?

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6
    Well that is certainly a better argument than the one the president gave.

Under the circumstances though I think he could have diffused this whole thing by simply granting an audience. And it isn't like he hasn't set bad precedents before.

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7
    What Bush should do is get off his lazy ass, get in his car and drive right past her... back to the office in Washington and start working on fixing all the messes he's made.

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8

Evo

Yes, he just added fuel to the fire. But he's not especially bright is he? :biggrin: He was right in turning her down (for the reasons I stated, but he handled it poorly.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  10. Aug 17, 2005 #9

Evo

Aw, smurf, always an optimist. Do you really think he can fix all his blunders in one lifetime? :wink:

11. Aug 17, 2005 #10
    He should tell her to write her congressman.

Seeing her once was enough. That's quite a bit more than most of the mothers of dead soldiers get. If she wants to have a voice she should create an organization and share it with the rest of those mothers.

12. Aug 17, 2005 #11

Evo

Yes, a private conversation with Bush will do nothing.

13. Aug 17, 2005 #12
    We'll just settle for a suicide so the current stock is IT for his lifetime.
    :biggrin:

14. Aug 17, 2005 #13
    You'd have to explain all the big words.
    :rofl:

15. Aug 17, 2005 #14

SOS2008

Gold Member

The time to address her has passed--now it's too late. And, the reasoning Evo provided was my thoughts as well. Still, I think maybe Rove has been a little preoccupied and Bush actually spoke on his own, expressing his true disconnected view of the world (as always it's good for Americans to see the true colors). And I agree a personal meeting will make no difference for either person. Let's face it, Cindy has been an activist for some time now, and though it may not have been her original intent, it is now an anti-war rally. That is fine with me, since it's about time Americans took to the street...or roadside...or what have you.

16. Aug 18, 2005 #15

russ_watters

Well, if he's concerned about his approval rating, yes. Otherwise, there isn't any reason why this woman should have the right to meet with him.

17. Aug 18, 2005 #16

russ_watters

That's a long drive, even for an optomist.... :wink:

18. Aug 18, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A side note to all of this: Her husband filed for divorce.

19. Aug 18, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah thats stupid. Do we REALLY need to know that information from the media? It was in the works before she decided to start protesting so its not like theres any value in knowing it.

20. Aug 18, 2005 #19
    Well yeah, he should be.. you know, theoretically..

21. Aug 18, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may or may not be related to her current actions. It does show that in addition to losing her son, her life is not stable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?