News Should Bush meet with Cindy Sheehan?

• Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date

Skyhunter

Should Bush take an hour from his busy vacation schedule and meet with the mother of an American soldier killed in Iraq?

Or should he just go on with his life?

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/08/14/20050814wacbushprotest.html [Broken]

‘‘And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say.''

‘‘But,'' he added, ‘‘I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life.''

Last edited by a moderator:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Why? Hes a busy man, why should he have to meet with her again?

He talked to her, she had her peace, she praised him, they partied, went into business together, blew up Poland, and now we're at this crap..... ok well... maybe they didnt party, but the rest is true! Ok ok... so they did party, i lied.

But no really, they already met, she loved him, he goes back to run the country, case closed.

Skyhunter

Pengwuino said:
Why? Hes a busy man, why should he have to meet with her again?

He talked to her, she had her peace, she praised him, they partied, went into business together, blew up Poland, and now we're at this crap..... ok well... maybe they didnt party, but the rest is true! Ok ok... so they did party, i lied.

But no really, they already met, she loved him, he goes back to run the country, case closed.
Amazing, where do you get your information?

Here is a reprint from her local paper.

http://www.thereporter.com/republished/ci_2923921 [Broken]

Note that she had reservations about the war before the meeting. Her and her husband decided not to ask the president pointed questions.

Well I guess he won the argument and now she wants to ask those questions after Bush said that the nineteen reservists from Ohio died for a "Noble cause".

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Should I have put a [Joke]....[/JOKE] aroudn the whole party and business and blowing up poland thing?

Evo

Mentor
Skyhunter said:
Should Bush take an hour from his busy vacation schedule and meet with the mother of an American soldier killed in Iraq?

Or should he just go on with his life?

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/08/14/20050814wacbushprotest.html [Broken]

‘‘And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say.''

‘‘But,'' he added, ‘‘I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life.''
No. For obvious, logical reasons, he can't meet one on one with every citizen of the US that asks. He cannot accept this request and deny others. Do we really expect the President of the US (regardless of who the President happens to be) to do this with every unhappy citizen personally?

Skyhunter

Evo said:
No. For obvious, logical reasons, he can't meet one on one with every citizen of the US that asks. He cannot accept this request and deny others. Do we really expect the President of the US (regardless of who the President happens to be) to do this with every unhappy citizen personally?
Well that is certainly a better argument than the one the president gave.

Under the circumstances though I think he could have diffused this whole thing by simply granting an audience. And it isn't like he hasn't set bad precedents before.

What Bush should do is get off his lazy ass, get in his car and drive right past her... back to the office in Washington and start working on fixing all the messes he's made.

Evo

Mentor
Skyhunter said:
Well that is certainly a better argument than the one the president gave.

Under the circumstances though I think he could have diffused this whole thing by simply granting an audience. And it isn't like he hasn't set bad precedents before.
Yes, he just added fuel to the fire. But he's not especially bright is he? :biggrin: He was right in turning her down (for the reasons I stated, but he handled it poorly.

Last edited:

Evo

Mentor
Smurf said:
What Bush should do is get off his lazy ass, get in his car and drive right past her... back to the office in Washington and start working on fixing all the messes he's made.
Aw, smurf, always an optimist. Do you really think he can fix all his blunders in one lifetime? :wink:

He should tell her to write her congressman.

Seeing her once was enough. That's quite a bit more than most of the mothers of dead soldiers get. If she wants to have a voice she should create an organization and share it with the rest of those mothers.

Evo

Mentor
TheStatutoryApe said:
He should tell her to write her congressman.

Seeing her once was enough. That's quite a bit more than most of the mothers of dead soldiers get. If she wants to have a voice she should create an organization and share it with the rest of those mothers.
Yes, a private conversation with Bush will do nothing.

Evo said:
Aw, smurf, always an optimist. Do you really think he can fix all his blunders in one lifetime? :wink:
We'll just settle for a suicide so the current stock is IT for his lifetime.
:biggrin:

Evo said:
Yes, a private conversation with Bush will do nothing.
You'd have to explain all the big words.
:rofl:

SOS2008

Gold Member
The time to address her has passed--now it's too late. And, the reasoning Evo provided was my thoughts as well. Still, I think maybe Rove has been a little preoccupied and Bush actually spoke on his own, expressing his true disconnected view of the world (as always it's good for Americans to see the true colors). And I agree a personal meeting will make no difference for either person. Let's face it, Cindy has been an activist for some time now, and though it may not have been her original intent, it is now an anti-war rally. That is fine with me, since it's about time Americans took to the street...or roadside...or what have you.

russ_watters

Mentor
Skyhunter said:
Well, if he's concerned about his approval rating, yes. Otherwise, there isn't any reason why this woman should have the right to meet with him.

russ_watters

Mentor
Smurf said:
Evo said:
That's a long drive, even for an optomist.... :wink:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A side note to all of this: Her husband filed for divorce.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
A side note to all of this: Her husband filed for divorce.
Yah thats stupid. Do we REALLY need to know that information from the media? It was in the works before she decided to start protesting so its not like theres any value in knowing it.

Evo said:
Well yeah, he should be.. you know, theoretically..

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Yah thats stupid. Do we REALLY need to know that information from the media? It was in the works before she decided to start protesting so its not like theres any value in knowing it.
It may or may not be related to her current actions. It does show that in addition to losing her son, her life is not stable.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Well I read when the first reports about that were coming out... the husband supports her but doesnt 'want to be as vocal' as she is. But really... you lost your son... your going through a divorce... what the hell are you doing protesting the war? She seems to have more pressing issues... The President will be around for a few more years but divorces and personal issues need to be settled as they arrise.

After all this time, Bushy shouldn't talk to her because his intentions will not be considered pure. If he does, people will either think that it's a set up, or make a mockery of it anyway.

He can't win... so why waste the effort?

What else it will do is cause more people to want to do the same... I think that would be an interesting display to witness

russ_watters said:
Well, if he's concerned about his approval rating, yes. Otherwise, there isn't any reason why this woman should have the right to meet with him.
No right? Russ, can you even begin to imagine what it's like to lose a child? Especially when you believe, as this lady did, that ultimate cause of your child's death was a bogus war started by Bush. Evo's reasoning is good, but I personally would want to meet with all the parents of the children I've sent to their premature deaths. Maybe that's why I wouldn't make a good president....

Terrible as it is, her suffering and grief doesn't grant a right for an audience with the President. I feel very bad for her loss, and I agree with her that the war is wrong, but her I'm sure her son knew what he was getting himself into when he joined the army.

SOS2008

Gold Member
Is anyone familiar with the statistics of couples who divorce after loss of a child? It's extremely common. That Cindy has been anti-war even before her son was killed shows her feelings about the war are real and not just motivated by grief. The grief is only intensifying her efforts. Once again, it is not uncommon for people who have experienced something bad (cancer, crime, drugs, etc.) to become active in prevention organizations. The media as usual is making the victim a victim again for the sake of a news story, and failing to do real, thoughtful analysis.