Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should Evo get a chainsaw?

1. Sure Evo can handle it

49.1%
  2. NO, Evo don't do it, you're a klutz!

50.9%
  1. Apr 16, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have a small tree that died that I need to cut down and there are a lot of thick branches. I also need to cut a lot of dead branches off some other trees and a hand saw will take forever. Also, most of the branches are above my head.

What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could get an electric one - much less dangerous.

Had to vote no; that is unless you get Tribdog to supervise.

4. Apr 16, 2006 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

Don't you always do something like this and get hurt...?

5. Apr 16, 2006 #4

Evo

oooh, dismembered AND electrocuted, good idea!

Electric, maybe I will go that route, they're lighter?

6. Apr 16, 2006 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

Don't do it evo, hire someone!1!! You'll never make it!!!@!@111

7. Apr 16, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not so much a weight advantage but they are much safer. They don't have the power to buck and take off your head like a gas powered saw. You can still cut off your toes and fingers, but you probably wouldn't lose your head.

8. Apr 16, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the largest diameter log that you would need to cut?

9. Apr 16, 2006 #8
    If you have the money go for it! If you don't get one, then using a handsaw may seem like a lot of work, but you can just maybe work at it for 20 minutes a day or so until it is done. Consider it your workout.

But if you get the chainsaw, and the branches are too high for you, be really careful if you use the chainsaw on a ladder (or just don't do that) that would be a likely recipe for disaster.

10. Apr 16, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Please don't kill me!

11. Apr 16, 2006 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

Evo, how much to delete the post above?

12. Apr 16, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Get a man to do it for you, or even a woman who knows what she is doing,
    the thought of you with a pair of hedge clippers makes me shudder, but up
    a ladder with a chain saw, :surprised how near is your local hospital ?

13. Apr 16, 2006 #12

Astronuc

This is a bit puzzling - a small tree, but thick branches. I am kind of wondering along the line of Ivan, what size have you had experience with vs what size are the branches and trunk?

Are the branches one or two inches in diameter? How tall is the tree and what is the diameter?

If you get a chain saw, think about save gloves, glasses and shin guards.

Don't cut overhead unless you know what you are doing.

To drop the tree, do two wedge cuts with the lower one on the side toward which you want to drop the tree. The wedges are so you don't get the chain caught.

I would recommend hiring a handyman or tree service - but the services can cost a few bucks. At least they'll haul away the debris. Then again you could save the branches and trunk and compost them.

14. Apr 16, 2006 #13

Evo

I was going to hire a guy to do it, but he turned out to be insane.

As I wrote a friend: "I called a guy that advertised doing lawn care. HE'S NUTS. He's at my house and won't leave. I've called him twice and told him NO. GO AWAY. I found someone else.

GET AWAY FROM MY HOUSE YOU PSYCHO.

AAAARGGH."

This guy starts talking about how religious he is and goes off into these bizzare tirades. He's completely illiterate, yet he's claiming to have a graduate degree in tree care. :bugeye: And on and on.

I was sure by the time I got home, I would have shrines to the Madonna erected in my yard. Or maybe goat sacrifices, I wasn't sure.

15. Apr 16, 2006 #14
    Or save money and get exercize at the same time; use a handsaw even if it takes forever! The tree's not going anywhere.

16. Apr 16, 2006 #15
    I figure they are expensive. I just looked up prices and apparently you can get one cheap so perhaps nevermind. Home Depot has an electric one for 40 bucks. It says it's "lightweight".

17. Apr 16, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

18. Apr 16, 2006 #17
    Just remember to consider the wind speed and direction when messing with trees.

19. Apr 16, 2006 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, Get a chain saw! There's no kick-back to worry about these days with a "consumer" model chain. A 14" or 16" long bar is all you need. Husqvarna or Stihl are the best brands, but a Poulan is OK for the lower price saws.

Then you can start getting your own firewood! Do odd jobs around the neighborhood! Take care of that blasted ginko tree on the corner! Clear the way downtown when you're in a hurry! Get your point clearly across when talking with parents of P-I-A students...

delete that last line please.

20. Apr 16, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not the cost of the chainsaw, but the cost of the ER visit. If they have to add in a life flight, even worse.

Evo, find a non-psycho tree service, especially if there's a lot overhead to cut. Maybe you can save cost by having them just take the tree down and cut the trunk into sections and leave you with the branches to attack on your own with your loppers.

At the very least, find someone who knows how to use a chainsaw to help you. Let them teach you and supervise so you learn to handle it properly (and have someone to call 911 when...erm...I mean if...you get hurt using it).

21. Apr 16, 2006 #20
    The real question is, if this was Tribdog's thread, what would we all say?

Well that's my answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?