Should/How I ask my friend out?

• Thread starter thatoneguy6531
  • Start date
In summary: First of all quit thinking of yourself and think about her instead. There is a saying that goes "If you feel uncomfortable at a party, you are thinking more about yourself than you are about the people around you who just might be feeling more uncomfortable than you" So in other words, quit trying to cop out by texting and hoping for some kind of hopeful response. there is only one way to do this and that is the way your competition is doing it...CALL HER! Given a choice between 2 guys, one who texts for a date and one who
thatoneguy6531
So I am on summer break from uni, and I have a group of friends that has one girl who I used to like in it and everyone knew I liked her, however she started dating another guy and I stopped liking her. More recently I started liking her friend and we get along well. We would hangout a lot, and she has been texting me a lot during the summer so far. I want to ask her out, but I'm afraid of the awkwardness since she knows I used to like her friend... what should I do? Thanks for the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
People are allowed to be attracted to multiple people. Go for it. If she likes you back, she won't care.

+1

Only one way to find out. Just go for it.

Ok, so if I were to ask her, is asking her out over text fine?

thatoneguy6531 said:
Ok, so if I were to ask her, is asking her out over text fine?
Sure, just keep it casual at first

Wanna come for an icecream? THen you suck my birote :wink::wink::wink:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Tosh5457 said:
Wanna come for an icecream? THen you suck my birote :wink::wink::wink:
:oldbiggrin:

If her friend and she share their stories of their boyfriends, it'll not probably be as good, so be sincere to your loved one when you have a chance. If she likes or loves you too, she'll know how to try to make through things with you.

Is it okay to ask her out for a week in advance?

thatoneguy6531 said:
Is it okay to ask her out for a week in advance?
There are no rules. Do what you feel comfortable :)

Likes Silicon Waffle
I always think it's weird asking someone out in a text. I was hanging out with this girl and she could have said something when we were hanging out, but she instead texted me later about it.
I'm glad she did, though, because, since it was a text, it gave me time to think of an excuse on why we shouldn't date. In person, you kinda have to respond right away, because they know when you got the message.

leroyjenkens said:
I always think it's weird asking someone out in a text. I was hanging out with this girl and she could have said something when we were hanging out, but she instead texted me later about it.
I'm glad she did, though, because, since it was a text, it gave me time to think of an excuse on why we shouldn't date. In person, you kinda have to respond right away, because they know when you got the message.
I personally have no issue with bidirectional communication via texts or letters in regard to responsiveness. My solvable excuse is time management and prioritized orders of scheduled items I have to finish.
I realize the best part in love is what I couldn't recognize since when it has soaked in my heart and mind. And it seems to always stay long lasting and much deeper overtime.

Well I think asking her out over text/skype is probably the best thing as that's how we normally communicate

Alright, so I asked her out and she said maybe and asked if it was just us or anyone else to which I said "just us". She said okay and joked about something, and the conversation ended and we stopped talking since then. I guess I ruined it.

Tell her to solve this inequality
7i+7u<28u
You should get I <3 u

Likes sourlemon
thatoneguy6531 said:
Alright, so I asked her out and she said maybe and asked if it was just us or anyone else to which I said "just us". She said okay and joked about something, and the conversation ended and we stopped talking since then. I guess I ruined it.

I can't believe this is in Physics Forum and I can't believe I'm even responding, but geez...you need advice bad so here goes. First of all quit thinking of yourself and think about her instead. There is a saying that goes "If you feel uncomfortable at a party, you are thinking more about yourself than you are about the people around you who just might be feeling more uncomfortable than you" So in other words, quit trying to cop out by texting and hoping for some kind of hopeful response. there is only one way to do this and that is the way your competition is doing it...CALL HER! Given a choice between 2 guys, one who texts for a date and one who calls for a date, who do you think the girl is going to go out with? THINK OF HER! Call her, without intending to ask her out, but instead to just talk, laugh, get to know her a little better, ask her questions, make her feel comfortable, let her feel she can talk to you without feeling shy because you are understanding and safe and then if it feel riight, just tell her you think it would be fun to go do something with her and see if she agrees. If she does then it's easy, suggest a hike or a movie or a burger somewhere. Let her make the moves so she feels in control and go with the flow. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice, I do agree, she said yes though.. :)

1. Should I ask my friend out?

This is a common question that many people struggle with. Ultimately, the decision to ask your friend out depends on your own feelings and the dynamics of your friendship. Consider whether you are willing to risk potentially damaging your friendship if the romantic feelings are not reciprocated. It is also important to communicate openly and honestly with your friend about your intentions.

2. How do I know if my friend is interested?

It can be difficult to discern whether your friend has romantic feelings for you. Pay attention to their body language and the way they interact with you. Do they seem more flirty or touchy than usual? Do they make an effort to spend time with you alone? These could be signs that they are interested, but the best way to find out is to simply ask them directly.

3. When is the right time to ask my friend out?

Timing is important when it comes to asking someone out. You want to make sure that you are both in a good place emotionally and that there are no other external factors that could affect your decision. It is also important to consider if your friend is currently going through a difficult time or if they have recently gotten out of a relationship. In general, it is best to wait until you have a private moment with your friend to bring up the topic.

4. How do I ask my friend out without making things awkward?

Asking someone out, especially a friend, can be nerve-wracking and it is normal to worry about making things awkward. The best way to avoid this is to be confident and direct in your approach. Let your friend know that you value your friendship and that you understand if they do not feel the same way. Be prepared for any outcome and be sure to communicate your feelings in a respectful and mature manner.

5. What if my friend says no?

Rejection is always a possibility when asking someone out. If your friend says no, it is important to handle the situation with grace and understanding. Remember that their decision does not reflect on your worth as a person. It may take some time for things to go back to normal in your friendship, but with open communication and honesty, you can work through any potential awkwardness and continue to maintain a strong friendship.