Considering a PhD? Pros/Cons of the Time Commitment

• Programs
  • Thread starter tjackson3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Time
In summary, the person is worried about whether or not it is worth getting a PhD, given their current situation and career goals. They are also worried about doing research, which is a required component of a PhD. They are considering whether or not to continue in the program.
tjackson3
Backstory (feel free to skip): Last year, I applied to a bunch of PhD programs in applied math. I got accepted into a couple, but Northwestern offered me an interesting option. They rejected me from the PhD program, but they said that they would accept me into a masters program (which I'd have to pay for), but depending on my performance, they might upgrade me at the end of the year to a PhD position. Since their MS and PhD programs are the same in the first year, as long as I passed the preliminary exams, I'd be considered a second year PhD student the following year. To get the upgrade, they said I'd have to beat a lot of PhD students, since the faculty were biased towards them. I managed to succeed - they cut 1/2 the PhD students, but I managed to make the cut. Now I'm not sure if I want to.

Everyone in the program says that the first year is the hardest. We have four classes per quarter plus those prelim exams. This year has been extremely difficult, though this quarter hasn't been quite as bad. Starting in the second year, we take fewer classes, though we have to TA (which is actually something I'm excited about). I guess I'm nervous about research - is the time commitment more than what I'm doing now? Is there time I can take off? Am I expected to be in during school breaks? What are your experiences with this?

At the end of this year, I will have an MS degree. I'm not sure if going on to a PhD is even something I should do. I don't plan on going into academia (at least not immediately - at some point later on, I may want to teach, though it may even be at the high school level, but that'd be after a career). I'd want to do something in industry - consulting, something in finance, etc. I don't have prior work experience and haven't really networked, so I was thinking that getting a PhD would help in those areas. Plus it's not as though there are a ton of jobs out there.

I think part of the problem too is that I'm just feeling so burnt out.

So I guess my questions are: In my position, would it be worth it to get a PhD? Would it improve my future salary/job opportunities? How does the time commitment compare to what I've already experienced taking a bunch of graduate courses?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org

I've seen these types of questions on forums like www.quantnet.com. The usual response from the people there is "You got a degree math. Why do you want to do finance?", which also happen to be the same question most employers would ask you.

The honest, but stupid, answer is that it never occurred to me. Same with engineering. I declared as a math major early on in college due to pressure from a math professor, and declared physics as a second major shortly thereafter. The thought of switching to engineering/finance just never even occurred to me

tjackson3 said:
The honest, but stupid, answer is that it never occurred to me. Same with engineering. I declared as a math major early on in college due to pressure from a math professor, and declared physics as a second major shortly thereafter. The thought of switching to engineering/finance just never even occurred to me

One piece of advice I would have for you is whatever you want to do next, try and get some kind of unbiased clear perspective of what is involved so that you are better prepared emotionally and otherwise as opposed to just intellectually or academically.

If you can put up with the crap that you hate and still like it enough to put up with the perks, then that should be a good sign.

This is of course not a gaurantee that you will get the job but if you have thought about this in depth beforehand it will definitely help both you and the interviewer in the long run if something works out.

That is a good idea. I don't really have anything to go to if I left grad school. I'm just feeling so burnt out. It really sapped a lot of my love for the subject. I talked to a career counselor at my school today, who advised me to take it since there would be more job recruiters in the fall. That way, if I wanted to, I could be getting paid while doing some more school and searching for a job

1. What is the average time commitment for a PhD program?

The average time commitment for a PhD program is typically 4-6 years, with some programs taking up to 8 years.

2. What are the pros of committing to a PhD program?

The pros of committing to a PhD program include gaining in-depth knowledge in a specific field, developing advanced research skills, and increasing job opportunities in academia and industry.

3. What are the cons of committing to a PhD program?

The cons of committing to a PhD program include a significant time and financial commitment, potential lack of job prospects outside of academia, and a competitive and stressful environment.

4. Can I work while pursuing a PhD?

It is possible to work while pursuing a PhD, but it may be challenging to balance the demands of both. Many programs offer teaching or research assistantships that provide financial support while also allowing students to gain experience in their field.

5. Is a PhD worth the time commitment?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. If you are passionate about a specific subject and see yourself pursuing a career in academia or research, then a PhD may be worth the time commitment. However, if you are unsure about your career path or are not interested in a highly specialized field, a PhD may not be the best option for you.