Should I attend a graduation ceremony if no one will come?

So I graduate in a year from now, and the school mandates that I must apply for my college degree one semester before the semester I graduate. Subsequently, I also have to decide whether or not I want to attend the commencement ceremony.

On one hand, I only graduate college once; or rather, it will be a long time before I graduate college again, if I ever choose to return to school again. On the other hand, if I do graduate, there will be very few people who will come congratulate me and such. I haven't any friends or the like, and I feel like a three-hour graduation ceremony would waste much of my time, since there's really no one to enjoy it with other than my immediate family. I haven't been very chummy with any of my classmates and such, mostly due to shyness, anxiety, and a general lack of social skills.

Even so, I don't know why I'm debating against not attending; maybe it is because down the line, I'll come to regret it later? I don't know.

Answers and Replies

andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I suggest you go. For most people only their immediate family attend, and that's enough. The worst likely downside of going is just three dull hours, and we mostly have many more than that dull hours in a week anyway. But the worst likely downside of not going is regret that will last a lot longer than the irritation of a few hours of boredom.

You can always load a novel onto a smart phone or other device, to read while speeches are being made that don't interest you. I get through lots of dull presentations with the help of my small e-book reader.

Likes Wrichik Basu