1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i be a physics major instead?

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    i'm a sophomore and i'm almost a junior by now...
    i took a year of intro physics this year and am considering majoring in it.
    originally i had planned on studying chemistry, but now i really like how differential math is used to prove physics.
    i'm also beginning to realize that in organic chemistry lab i don't even wonder about what's going on in my erlenmeyer flask. i am also scared of getting cancer..

a few major concerns;
    i kind of blew first semester physics, slept through most classes, got slightly below average on tests, and got a 3.3. i don't think i thoroughly know all the material especially waves and optics, and rotational motion.
    this semester, i don't know if my grade will turn out better, but i've definitely stayed awake and become more interested in electromagnetism. also the professor is more interesting.

i also blew my calculus 3 final (everything else was fine) and got 2.7 in the previous semester. but now that the calculus i learned is applied more often (or maybe cause i've awakened to these things), math in physics has become interesting. in fact, i feel like im learning more calculus in physics, since my calculus class has just been about memorizing equations for me.
    and i thought i really hated math!

lastly,
    i took my intro level physics class at a different institution that's known to be stronger in the sciences. in fact, student there think physics at my college is weak. i kind of agree because the intro physics labs at my school are exactly like that of high school labs. so is it worth getting a physics degree at my school? i have yet to talk to other majors and advisors. our chemistry department is pretty strong though.

what should i do???? i like physics like i do philosophy, but it takes a lot of thinking!
    also i don't feel like a complete idiot at physics..i've helped a few classmates so i do have some little confidence, even though most people tend to be so intimidated by it, even if they get B's on midterms like i do. so perhaps i should do away with my false confidence and be intimidated as well....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted