Should I Fret About Playing the CV Game for a Theoretical Physicist Career?

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to be a theorist, and not the phenomenologist kind either, you should play the whole bolstering your CV game that everyone played in high school. However, if you do well in all of your classes and do research with someone in the field, that is enough.
ice109
if i want to be a theorist, and not the phenomenologist kind either, but the other kind ( my advisor said modeling theorist, someone who invents the models ). should i be playing the whole bolstering my CV game that everyone played in high school, in an attempt to get into ivys? if i just do well in all of my classes and do research with someone in the field is that enough? in zapper's writeup about what it takes to be a physicist he says that in theory success partly comes from pedigree and this makes me fret.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the huge number of very good theorists coming out of China that you'll be directly competing with, I'd be fretting in your shoes. It has been my experience that the supply for theorists outstrips demand - and I mean by more than the average supply already outstrips demand in the academic world. This could definitely promote the cliquishness you are worried about.

However, there is something that deserves clarification. Everyone talks about theory as if it were one area. It isn't - the predicaments of theorists in condensed matter and high energy physics are different, as are many of the skills they use. This goes for theorists in other areas of physics as well.

What do you actually plan on studying?

Locrian said:
Given the huge number of very good theorists coming out of China that you'll be directly competing with, I'd be fretting in your shoes. It has been my experience that the supply for theorists outstrips demand - and I mean by more than the average supply already outstrips demand in the academic world. This could definitely promote the cliquishness you are worried about.

However, there is something that deserves clarification. Everyone talks about theory as if it were one area. It isn't - the predicaments of theorists in condensed matter and high energy physics are different, as are many of the skills they use. This goes for theorists in other areas of physics as well.

What do you actually plan on studying?

what every other aspiring theorists plans on studying :tongue2: GUTs

Locrian said:
It has been my experience that the supply for theorists outstrips demand - and I mean by more than the average supply already outstrips demand in the academic world.

And this is a long-standing situation. It was definitely like this when I was in grad school about 25 years ago. Anyone planning to do a PhD in theoretical physics should have a "Plan B."

Or do what I am doing and attempt to approach fundamental physics through optics. There is plenty of work available for an arbitrary mix of theory and application at any given skill level. It is easy to get an experimental RA position in optics even as an undergrad, and you can smoothly transition to theoretical physics from there. This may not be the quickest way to get money thrown at you to try unifying physics, but it is certainly more doable.

1. Should I have a specific degree in theoretical physics to pursue a career in this field?

While having a degree in theoretical physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for a career in this field. Many theoretical physicists have backgrounds in other related fields such as mathematics or engineering. What is more important is having a strong understanding of mathematical and theoretical concepts, as well as a passion for the subject.

2. How important is research experience for a theoretical physicist career?

Research experience is crucial for a career in theoretical physics. It allows you to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the subject. It also shows potential employers that you have practical experience in the field and are able to apply your knowledge to real-world problems.

3. Is it necessary to have publications in order to have a successful career as a theoretical physicist?

While having publications can certainly enhance your resume and credibility as a theoretical physicist, it is not a requirement for a successful career. Many theoretical physicists focus on research and may not have many publications, but still make significant contributions to the field. What matters most is the quality and impact of your work, rather than the quantity of publications.

4. How important is networking for a career in theoretical physics?

Networking can be important for any career, including theoretical physics. Building connections with other professionals in the field can lead to collaboration opportunities, potential job offers, and valuable insights and advice. However, it is not a requirement for success and your skills and experience in the field will ultimately determine your success.

5. Is there a high demand for theoretical physicists in the job market?

The demand for theoretical physicists in the job market varies depending on the specific industry and location. Generally, there is a growing demand for theoretical physicists in fields such as quantum computing, artificial intelligence, and renewable energy. However, competition for jobs in this field can be high and it is important to have a strong background and skillset to stand out in the job market.