Should I Be Mad? Reasons Why & What To Do

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, the professor told me that I was not allowed to correct his coding practices because he was "too good" for me to help him. As a result, I lost out on a good opportunity to help him improve his skills.
Chain questions like that suck. I've been lucky though to get at least a few times where I can give the "general case" and not use the exact solution from the previous problem and still get full credit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to make a clarification, even in US, not all exams are reviewed by the department before they are handed out. I work with a professor as a grading assistant, and know that her exams are never reviewed by the department (Excluding the midterm and final).

I second what l46kok says... I don't think any exam (including midterms or finals) are reviewed by the department. I know that semester exams aren't for sure, but there may be a possibility for final exams.

It's not that popular.

Poop-Loops said:
Chain questions like that suck. I've been lucky though to get at least a few times where I can give the "general case" and not use the exact solution from the previous problem and still get full credit.

Chain questions make it easy to go from one thing to another without creating too long of a question while testing many different things.

Yeah, but there are two types of chain questions:

"I give you [something], now tell me x, y, z about it"

and "Find out X. From X, find out Y. From Y, find out Z"

The former is okay, but the latter generally scares me haha

l46kok said:
Just to make a clarification, even in US, not all exams are reviewed by the department before they are handed out. I work with a professor as a grading assistant, and know that her exams are never reviewed by the department (Excluding the midterm and final).

But anything other than a midterm and a final are not "exams" in my eyes. I understand that all class tests cannot be reviewed by the department-- that's just stupidly time wasting-- but "exams" that count for a large proportion of one's mark should be checked by the department. (Then of course, afterwards, the marking has to be checked by someone else i the faculty).

Lots of things "should" happen, but that doesn't mean they do. Honestly, any of my professors that have said anything about the exams have said that they make them up 2 or so days ahead of the test. They give them to their grad students and that's about it.

cristo said:
But anything other than a midterm and a final are not "exams" in my eyes. I understand that all class tests cannot be reviewed by the department-- that's just stupidly time wasting-- but "exams" that count for a large proportion of one's mark should be checked by the department. (Then of course, afterwards, the marking has to be checked by someone else i the faculty).

At my school the only exams reviewed by the department are the finals for Calc I-III.

After that, it's up to the professor.