Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.
jlnWind said:
im pretty sure this sounds immature, but if i wanted to make a flying car
what type of engineering should i go into?

and (for those who are already engineers in such a field or know of them)
what is the real possibility of me making one and being able to mass produce it within 30 years?

sorry again if its far fetched, its just yeh a dream lol

There would be a lot of different types of engineers involved in making a flying car. Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, and Aerospace engineers would all be involved. As it is, nowadays, there is a big mix of engineering types who work on cars. Especially electrical and mechanical engineers.

As for the possibility of you making the car - very low. Have you even started university yet? You'll first need to get your degree, then either join a company that is working on flying cars, start your own company, or do your own research. I don't even think flying cars are being thought about in real theoretical terms yet.

I actually don't see flying cars becoming a reality, ever, to be honest. But you never know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I Want to Know what Exactly Is The Syllabus for Software Engineering..
Will i be having to study Chemistry and all?

:bugeye:

rahul_indian said:
I Want to Know what Exactly Is The Syllabus for Software Engineering..
Will i be having to study Chemistry and all?

:bugeye:

Just look up the curriculum at a university that offers software engineering. They usually have the course descriptions and break them down on a semester by semester basis.

Yes, most universities require that engineering majors take Chemistry.

Maxwell said:
There would be a lot of different types of engineers involved in making a flying car. Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, and Aerospace engineers would all be involved. As it is, nowadays, there is a big mix of engineering types who work on cars. Especially electrical and mechanical engineers.

As for the possibility of you making the car - very low. Have you even started university yet? You'll first need to get your degree, then either join a company that is working on flying cars, start your own company, or do your own research. I don't even think flying cars are being thought about in real theoretical terms yet.

I actually don't see flying cars becoming a reality, ever, to be honest. But you never know.

nah I am still in year 12, but naivety aside, is it really unbelievable? or is it just impractical

After finishing a bachelors degree in physics, is it possible to be certified to work as an engineer? What (if any) additional courses would be required?

It may be different state-to-state, but my state (PA) requires an engineering degree.

Does anyone know for Canada?

no it is not possible to be certified as an Engineer! How do you even remember to think something like that.

ME/EE/other?

I've thought about becoming an engineer since I was in the 6th grade. I'm now going to be a senior, and still in that frame of mind. Looking at other possible college majors to me just doesn't seem to fit: but I'm wondering if my aspirations to become an engineer are similar to those of other people who have become one.

I'm starting to fill out the Common Application for colleges, my top 3 choices being Rochester Institute of Technology, Clarkson University, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My top choices for a major are mechanical engineering or electrical engineering.

I do well in science and math, which I enjoy, as well as my school's offering of technology/engineering related courses, which are my favorite. I like to figure out how things work as well as learn how they work.

I've dabbled in a few electronics projects, as well as designed and built some purely mechanical devices which have been in competition and won, such as a ping-pong ball launcher and a defense arm for a balloon-popping battlebot. Legos have always been and will continue to be my favorite toy.

Some people spend time doing crosswords and other puzzles: I look at things and disassemble them in my head, thinking about how they must work and how they could be improved. After visiting all 3 of the above mentioned colleges, I'm still leaning towards mechanical engineering. I know it's possible to change a major later in college, but I'd like to get it right from the start.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to get everything I could think of out in the open. Has anyone else had these thoughts, or am I just completely different? Thanks for any help you can give, it's well appreciated!

TheRyan said:
I've thought about becoming an engineer since I was in the 6th grade. I'm now going to be a senior, and still in that frame of mind. Looking at other possible college majors to me just doesn't seem to fit: but I'm wondering if my aspirations to become an engineer are similar to those of other people who have become one.

I'm starting to fill out the Common Application for colleges, my top 3 choices being Rochester Institute of Technology, Clarkson University, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My top choices for a major are mechanical engineering or electrical engineering.

I do well in science and math, which I enjoy, as well as my school's offering of technology/engineering related courses, which are my favorite. I like to figure out how things work as well as learn how they work.

I've dabbled in a few electronics projects, as well as designed and built some purely mechanical devices which have been in competition and won, such as a ping-pong ball launcher and a defense arm for a balloon-popping battlebot. Legos have always been and will continue to be my favorite toy.

Some people spend time doing crosswords and other puzzles: I look at things and disassemble them in my head, thinking about how they must work and how they could be improved. After visiting all 3 of the above mentioned colleges, I'm still leaning towards mechanical engineering. I know it's possible to change a major later in college, but I'd like to get it right from the start.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to get everything I could think of out in the open. Has anyone else had these thoughts, or am I just completely different? Thanks for any help you can give, it's well appreciated!

If you're not sure which one you like, just hold it out and make the decision later. It may give you some comfort to know that in most engineering schools, all engineering students take the same courses in their first year - chemistry, physics, math, engineering drawing, some circuit theory, etc. Use this time to do some additional investigation; talk to professors and upper division students in both these majors, take some time to investigate the curriculum for these majors to see which one you can see yourself doing.

Should you be a perfectionist? I sort of like designing things nothing detailed, but not really perfect things. I don't worry about the details. Should engineers like to know all the details,etc.

What does it take?

Hello, all

Does one need to be "hands on" to become a mechanical engineer? Do you have to work well with your hands? Or is it mostly theoretical?

jlnWind said:
nah I am still in year 12, but naivety aside, is it really unbelievable? or is it just impractical

wouldnt a plane be the same as flying car? just it would need really wide roads to drive on.

Ariste said:
1) Is my view of engineering correct? As opposed to pure science, which is the discovery of knowledge for its own sake, engineering is the application of knowledge to some practical purpose. Is that view correct?

well what you must undertand is that engineering is a science. what youre reffering to as "pure science" is more philosophy. knowledge cannot be "dicovered for its own sake" because for someone to learn something, they must first have a reason to learn and that is its purpose. all science has an applicational value. its only how you look at it that changes it.

This seemed like an appropriate place to post this question so here goes...

I'm currently studying a diploma in Design in Mechanical Engineering and after the end of the course, which is in November, I'm yet to decide what I'm going to do with myself.

There are a few companies I could possibly do some form of design work for with this qualification in my area but I not really interested in the type of engineering they do.

I have an interest in Marine Engineering but not much knowledge about it in general, I just like the idea.

What types of jobs do you could be available to me in the future, either directly or indirectly related to mechanical engineering??

Cheers Martin

RIGHT! FINALLY someone is right on.

DefaultName said:
RIGHT! FINALLY someone is right on.

What do you mean some one is right on? I don't see how your post contributed to anything this thread!

is it right for me

I currently deciding to do mechanical engineering, but I am a bit doubtfull, my whole family consists of doctors, si I don't really have anyone showing me things to do with mechanics, no real life example, so i not one of those persons who do things in cars or have any skill in motors.I am a very practical person and I have no problems in maths, physics I like but I have some problems in some aspects. I was thinking of engineering as it consists of the subjects i most like, like mechanics and thermodynamics, and I want a thing that would not be Monotonous, would this type of engineering be right to me?

Many of my friends (civil engineers) tell me that they are working like machines do, do you engineers agree?

Engineering may be a better choice (for jobs) compared with physics and mathematics.
Engineering is a very important subject, and the discipline may be as great as the invention of other subjects.Some engineering problems are difficult and complex, which can be compared with or much more than mathematical conjecture. A downcomer plan for a city or a big city's transportation problem, a bridge over the sea, cannot be done by only a person. But an engineer's job is usually just simple work.

Engineering employs theory taught in textbooks many times, but an engineer seldom trust them. He has his experience in solving/dealing with his probems.

A mathematician is very possibily a bad engineer if he chooses to be. He can't accept what an engineer does. Although an engineer has a standard or code to work with, the standards are never really met by an engineering project(some precision apparatus related project of course does not belong here).

For me, mathematics is more difficult, at least killing more of my brain cells. I would like to be an engineer if possible. But before being an engineer I would like to learn sufficient mathematics/physics/ relevant theory, because an engineer has little time to learn them nor has he that kind of patience usually.

uiulic said:
Many of my friends (civil engineers) tell me that they are working like machines do, do you engineers agree?
ANS: Hardly - Machines definitely have it easier :p

Engineering may be a better choice (for jobs) compared with physics and mathematics.
Engineering is a very important subject, and the discipline may be as great as the invention of other subjects.Some engineering problems are difficult and complex, which can be compared with or much more than mathematical conjecture. A downcomer plan for a city or a big city's transportation problem, a bridge over the sea, cannot be done by only a person. But an engineer's job is usually just simple work.

It really depends on what field you want to go into and I can assure its never easy to get there and work may not always be as interesting as an episode of entourage :p but its very rewarding

Engineering employs theory taught in textbooks many times, but an engineer seldom trust them. He has his experience in solving/dealing with his probems.

A mathematician is very possibily a bad engineer if he chooses to be. He can't accept what an engineer does. Although an engineer has a standard or code to work with, the standards are never really met by an engineering project(some precision apparatus related project of course does not belong here).

For me, mathematics is more difficult, at least killing more of my brain cells. I would like to be an engineer if possible. But before being an engineer I would like to learn sufficient mathematics/physics/ relevant theory, because an engineer has little time to learn them nor has he that kind of patience usually.

You will have time for your mathematics but remember that Highschool mathematics is just a core requisite for what you learn in university. You will take branches from what you have learned and expand on it.

Personally I had to study
  • Calculus I,II,III,
  • Differential Equations,
  • Linear Algebra,
  • Probability and Statistics,
  • Complex analysis
  • Discrete Mathematics

Don't worry too much about the mathmatics, a large amount of it would be practicing problems for most of the subjects above - which should be enough to help you pass the course. However some courses require a bit of 'ingenuity' to get around the problems such as complex analysis, Linear Algebra and Discrete mathematics.

I personally hated Complex analysis and if I did Complex Analysis II i'd be bald right with the amount of hair I'd have pulled out.

I admit that not every single engineering student will not 'enjoy' every aspect of their degree or everything that's dished out to them - and you have every right to hate one aspect. But its needed and once you get done with it you should be open to whatever's next.

Don't worry too much about the math requirement, find a group of friends to study with so that you have some one/people to discuss things with. Group study is incredibly beneficial and I highly suggest it.

Other than that you should be fine in engineering - best of luck

Last edited:
Hello,

I have some critical questions regarding Electronics Engineering Technologist for Communications. I am doing it from a College in Canada.

I joined this program without even knowing what a resistor was and have maintained a 4.0 GPA for one year.

I am very absorbed into this field now. I love it, but often get frightened about the amount of information we are always bombarded with. I lack confidence in myself that I will be able to solve problems or do analysis without a formula sheet or that I will retain such massive information to apply in the work force

What does this field have to offer me in regards to 'types of jobs'? Out of curiosity I was looking for jobs on various sites and found no entry level openings. All require couple years of experience or are in 'product assembly' or 'component testing'. I didn't pay so much money, and study so much just to do component testing or assembly.

If anyone who knows or is currently in the Communications field, please tell me your experiences with the field. How do you work your way up to a good position?

This is the brief outline of my course. Tell me what you think about it.

http://www.senecac.on.ca/fulltime/ELM.html

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was just wondering, can anyone become an engineer? or do you have to be naturally talented in math and the sciences?

can any average joe (like me) make it that far in life? I'm willing to make sacrifices!

Hmm..

Should I be an Electrical Engineer?

I've had about two and half semesters of Middle School generic Engineering and I always had really 'out there' ideas but didn't have the motivation to do them
I love taking apart computers, nintendos, ect
But I struggle in math except when someone takes me by the hand and leads me though then I kick butt
I'm a very artistic creative person
I have trouble working in groups but only when the people around me are,... dumb or just want to do the plain stuff

I'm good with computers

But do any of you guys know which Engineering field I should do, I was thinking Electrical but maybe mechanical

And should I focus on computer programming or engineering in school for elective classes?

I'm a bit rambling right now...

And when I get into high school which math, science classes should I do?

What I really want to do is work with computers and gaming systems but not really in the programming way but in the psychical motherboard, design, effectiveness type way

Hello. I'm currently an honours physics student in the second year of a BSc who is not enjoying herself.

I LOVED my introductory physics courses throughout high school and my first year of university. I thought it was amazing that almost everything we encounter during our day-to-day lives could be described mathematically. I loved that I could use math to explain everything from car crashes to baseball to music to the rides at the fair to the magnets holding Mom's To-Do List on the fridge. I used to go home excited about my assignments because I couldn't wait to see what they were going to ask next. It was always something totally random, and I couldn't wait to tackle it.

There lies my problem, though. I was only fascinated with intro physics. I liked learning about the stuff that I consciously encountered everyday. I loved the physics of "big stuff". My main love was the centuries-old Newtonian mechanics, but I liked waves too.

I figured that's what I loved and that's what I wanted to do, so I signed up for a physics degree. But now that the middle of September has rolled around, I've been sitting in my Introduction to Modern Physics course for a approximately three weeks, and I'm not enjoying it at all. Special relativity and time dilation? Bleck. Why would I care about that stuff? I've just totally lost interest. I'm not big on learning about particles. It bores me.

As a result of that, I've been starting to think about changing my major (or my degree!) but I'm still really nervous and undecided about basically everything.

On top of my love for intro physics, I love math and I'd like to think I have some really strong math skills. I loved my introductory calculus course, and I'm enjoying my intermediate calculus course, though we haven't gotten into much yet. I'm liking what I've seen of Linear Algebra so far, too. Algebra in general is something that I love. I love the feeling of accomplishment that accompanies success after a long page of complex algebra.

Since elementary school, though, my favorite part of any math class was the word problems. I liked to analyze the questions, then to take the math I had learned and put it towards making sense of something else. This is what makes me think that a Math Major is not the way to go. Plus I'm not very interested in the career choices a Math Major has to offer.

In fact I'm not very interested in the career choices that a Physics Major has to offer either, and THAT is what brings me to this thread. My Dad was telling me about a man he works with who started out as a physics student, hated it, and switched to engineering. So I've started to look into it a little bit, but I'm still not sure what it's really all about.

I think I would definitely like applying my math and physics to real world problems, but I'm not very creative. Do the undergraduate engineering courses help to mold your mind into one that thinks creatively or should that come naturally?

I'm really organized and I'm willing to put in a lot of hard work, but before I jump ship on my physics degree and switch faculties... I'd like to know if you guys think I sound like someone who'd be more suited to engineering or to physics.

I've tried to speak to the undergraduate advisors at my school to see what they think of my situation, but they just keep trying to persuade me into their department rather than really helping make the best decision for me.

Also, do you think I've decided I don't like modern physics too fast? Should I wait it out and then come back to considering engineering later on if I still don't like the physics degree?

I'm stressed out, haha. :)
Thanks for your time!

I have to say, you are really good off going into EE or ME. You can apply the concepts from these two fields to most other engineering fields and sciences. Nuclear and chemical might require more specialized training in specific sciences, but these are very niche fields and going through the rigor of a good EE or ME program will prepare you to be able to learn the other things very quickly. If you want to do robotics or aeronautics, EE or ME is more than adequate for undergrads. As an undergrad, being versatile is very important.

Hi all,

Next year I plan on going to university for Petroleum Systems Engineering. I'm thinking this because there seems to be a lot of opportunities in the field, a pretty high demand what with all these oil companies etc, and also because there seems to be very big opportunities to travel around the globe with it.

Anyways last year in physics I didn't really give any effort and sort of gave up on it and also engineering all together. However I realized I was being a bit lazy by just giving up on something I didn't really try to progress at and that didn't come easy to me. So I decided to take Physics again and continue it with hopes of doing good. Right now I'm a little nervous especially after a test today but I think it will all come with practice. This year already I love it and how things work but I still find a lot of the actual questions on my tests to be fairly hard.

What I'd like to know is if anyone can recommend me anything to progress even more at physics? I really want to get an A in this class.

fatfatfat said:
Hello. I'm currently an honours physics student in the second year of a BSc who is not enjoying herself.

I LOVED my introductory physics courses throughout high school and my first year of university. I thought it was amazing that almost everything we encounter during our day-to-day lives could be described mathematically. I loved that I could use math to explain everything from car crashes to baseball to music to the rides at the fair to the magnets holding Mom's To-Do List on the fridge. I used to go home excited about my assignments because I couldn't wait to see what they were going to ask next. It was always something totally random, and I couldn't wait to tackle it.

There lies my problem, though. I was only fascinated with intro physics. I liked learning about the stuff that I consciously encountered everyday. I loved the physics of "big stuff". My main love was the centuries-old Newtonian mechanics, but I liked waves too.

I figured that's what I loved and that's what I wanted to do, so I signed up for a physics degree. But now that the middle of September has rolled around, I've been sitting in my Introduction to Modern Physics course for a approximately three weeks, and I'm not enjoying it at all. Special relativity and time dilation? Bleck. Why would I care about that stuff? I've just totally lost interest. I'm not big on learning about particles. It bores me.

As a result of that, I've been starting to think about changing my major (or my degree!) but I'm still really nervous and undecided about basically everything.

On top of my love for intro physics, I love math and I'd like to think I have some really strong math skills. I loved my introductory calculus course, and I'm enjoying my intermediate calculus course, though we haven't gotten into much yet. I'm liking what I've seen of Linear Algebra so far, too. Algebra in general is something that I love. I love the feeling of accomplishment that accompanies success after a long page of complex algebra.

Since elementary school, though, my favorite part of any math class was the word problems. I liked to analyze the questions, then to take the math I had learned and put it towards making sense of something else. This is what makes me think that a Math Major is not the way to go. Plus I'm not very interested in the career choices a Math Major has to offer.

In fact I'm not very interested in the career choices that a Physics Major has to offer either, and THAT is what brings me to this thread. My Dad was telling me about a man he works with who started out as a physics student, hated it, and switched to engineering. So I've started to look into it a little bit, but I'm still not sure what it's really all about.

I think I would definitely like applying my math and physics to real world problems, but I'm not very creative. Do the undergraduate engineering courses help to mold your mind into one that thinks creatively or should that come naturally?

I'm really organized and I'm willing to put in a lot of hard work, but before I jump ship on my physics degree and switch faculties... I'd like to know if you guys think I sound like someone who'd be more suited to engineering or to physics.

I've tried to speak to the undergraduate advisors at my school to see what they think of my situation, but they just keep trying to persuade me into their department rather than really helping make the best decision for me.

Also, do you think I've decided I don't like modern physics too fast? Should I wait it out and then come back to considering engineering later on if I still don't like the physics degree?

I'm stressed out, haha. :)
Thanks for your time!

Relativity and particles is a big portion of physics. I think the modern physics course you took helped give you a better understanding of physics. Asides from the first year introductory stuff, physics only becomes more abstract. Check out university curricula on various physics and engineering disciplines.
A good one is UCSD's

http://www.ucsd.edu/catalog/front/courses.html

umicantthinkof1 said:
Should I be an Electrical Engineer?

I've had about two and half semesters of Middle School generic Engineering and I always had really 'out there' ideas but didn't have the motivation to do them
I love taking apart computers, nintendos, ect
But I struggle in math except when someone takes me by the hand and leads me though then I kick butt
I'm a very artistic creative person
I have trouble working in groups but only when the people around me are,... dumb or just want to do the plain stuff

I'm good with computers

But do any of you guys know which Engineering field I should do, I was thinking Electrical but maybe mechanical

And should I focus on computer programming or engineering in school for elective classes?

I'm a bit rambling right now...

And when I get into high school which math, science classes should I do?

What I really want to do is work with computers and gaming systems but not really in the programming way but in the psychical motherboard, design, effectiveness type way

Do you like the sexy interior design of computer? Do you like the burning-smell coming from circuit boards, say your XBOX 360? If you answered yes to either of this question, then Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering is definitely a good option for you! You will come across that Electrical Engineering is quite math oriented and from what I can tell, this could be the right major for you.

However, to be an engineer, I am very sorry to say, that you got to have a strong basis in math. BUT WAIT, don't be disappointed yet, you don't necessarily have to have it immedaitely. Even before that, you have to ask yourself this question "Do you enjoy math? Do you feel like screaming and kicking with joy when you just solved the hardest problem ever? (Well Ok, this is a little bit Cuukoo, but you get the point)" Not being able to solve math problems well isn't a huge handicap, you can overcome that just by working hard from now on. But if you are sure that you don't enjoy math and you won't in the future, then I can guarantee you that you won't like engineering and you'll end up switching majors.

As for math course, if you are capable of doing so, take Calculus before you graduate. If not, then you can always take it from College, it doesn't make a big difference. As for science, I recommend you taking Physics and Chemistry at the same time (This is what I did) but if this isn't an option for you, definitely take physics.

Found something very interesting the other day, have a look

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Shows much information about different types of engineers.

I am applying for an associates degree in engineering tho I plant to take it to the full 4 years. The associates is only a fraction of the cost of the first two years of the full degree and I can transfer 2 full years credits.

I'd like to vent a little because I have a business degree but I am not cut out for financial services work and the thought of it made me miserable. I did enjoy the mathematical side of my economics classes but it is not the direction I want to take.

I always loved math once I got upto learning about calculus but I always thought I was not smart enough to be an engineer. My father told me not to study engineering. But now at my work. I encounter engineering students because I am working retail. They tell me it is all technique and that because I went to a bad school I am probably lacking in that regard.

So now for many I am feeling motivated. I am 24 years old. I just hope my admission to the program is not rejected because of my past study. I did not have very good grades and the fact that I have a degree already makes me look scatter brained. BTw there are no masters courses in engineering here you must do the undergrad.

I did struggle with math but I enjoyed it and I found it fascinating and I wanted to learn more. I was always jealous of what engineering students where learning, while I was stuck with mundane and simple economics.

My questions. I am planning on doing a civil engineering degree. Is work as an engineering associate particularily unbearable ? are engineers known to be cruel to their suboordinates ? Whats most important to me is that my job keeps my mind active and that I am in a position to continuously learn. This is a question I have to ask because if I do not get good grades in my associates degree I will not be able to transfer with a full 2 years exemption.

Since I found out what aspergers was I am pretty sure I've got it. They said I had it when I was a kid before it got popular it explains a lot of things, so if it does exist I've probably got it. How important are all these interpersonal skills I don't have or understand to an engineer ?

I mean I can talk to ppl and not piss them off enough that they hate me. As far as making them like me goes I am crap. Sorry if this is a bit of a somber message its 3 am and I just finished work.

:)

Thanks guys.

I was considering being a engineer (civil)
and i am Canadian, i am in grade 11.
and i am an under achiver, when i apply myself my grades are in the 95+ when i dont... thy are 40-50. You get the picture

I am going to pull up my socks as i was currently entrigued on a presentation in my schools chapel today about achivment. i am also interested in quantum physics, physics in general, an sciences.

Would an engineer be the best idea for me?

I like the pay, but i want a job i love.

Please respond in an email or private msg.

no

The Should-I-Become-An-Engineer?
HELL NO
I was engineer but I am no longer one
enough is enough, 4 years of life wasting
and 4 years of being fed (up) with Laplace and Fourier transforms again and again
What any engineer knows about mathematics other than these two
or physics other than energy band gap or Smith chart?

I'm a student at Ohio State University and I'm planning to major in electrical engineering. My grades were generally good in high school and my grades as a college freshman right now are pretty much A's...I'm really interested in alternate forms of energy and electric vehicles...is EE a good major for covering these sorts of topics?

vsingh165, it's likely you could work in those fields with a 4 year EE degree, but for any kind of serious design work, it's likely you would need a masters or a PhD.

Don't be too put off by the maths in engineering- my boyfriend and housemates do engineering but the level of maths they use is much less than I seem to use in my physics degree (although I agree that this is probably not true for electric/aerospace)). I think the difference seems to be that whereas in engineering you use maths as a tool to solve a problem, in physics it is more like maths is the language you speak about everything in because its the only way you can make sense of such abstact things e.g. quantum mechanics etc. I think if you enjoy physics and are comfortable with maths but maybe aren't interested in/ struggle with abstact ideas like QM , relativity etc then go for engineering rather than physics- but you definitely don't have to be some sort of maths genius.

My second point is that I was at a science careers fair today and the people who wan't physicists are all finance/ investment companies (fine if you just want to make money) but the actual 'scientific jobs' were all looking for engineers- they want someone who can design stuff, fix stuff etc as well as just someone with maths/science skills.