Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i break up with my new GF ?

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    she doesn't know the difference between astronomy and astrology.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2
    Is she willing to learn the difference?
    Does she know how to use proper capitalization?
    If I would have automatically broken up with somebody because they didn't know something I did, I would have missed out on many amazing times.
    Different things are important to different people, that should be obvious, perhaps she should break up with you?
    If someone is good to me, and we can share some of our likes, I don't care if they know what CMBR is. If they tell me how my day is going to go because I was born a fish, I might give a little eyebrow though.

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Does she know more about the latter than the former? If so, dump her asap.

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4
    she def knows more about astrology than astronomy, she basically didn't know it was "connected" to physics.
    but shes hot so.....

6. Apr 10, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I think you just found your answer then

7. Apr 10, 2013 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*snork* :biggrin:

8. Apr 10, 2013 #7

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I don't think my wife can tell you the difference between a derivative or an integral. Heck, I'm nearly positive that her science knowledge ends somewhere around 10th grade. Nevertheless, she attended NYU and knows more about gardening than I could ever comprehend. What matters more in a partner is not what they know, but how you two get along and interact with each other. If you look at her as dumb because she doesn't know the difference, then it probably isn't going to workout because you have formed such a low opinion of her that will probably only escalate as time goes on.

9. Apr 10, 2013 #8

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This kind of comment makes me think she should dump you and be better for it.

Aside from that I agree with Marnemath. Relationships don't have to rely much on shared interests over complementary personalities.

10. Apr 11, 2013 #9
    I agree with MarneMath. That being said if something like this is making you question the relationship, maybe there are bigger problems to begin with?

11. Apr 11, 2013 #10

Hepth

Gold Member

Perhaps it is not her lack of knowledge, in an intellectual sense, that bothers you so; but rather the self-importance of your own affection toward science and your hidden personal insecurity of that interest that is the root of the problem. This causes you to perceive her flippancy and levity toward your "hobby" as an affront, and you fear the devaluation of one of your life's pursuits.

12. Apr 12, 2013 #11

Drakkith

One cannot gauge the substance of a person based on a single aspect.

13. Apr 12, 2013 #12
    I hear they've got a top ten gardening program.

14. Apr 12, 2013 #13
    i just dont want dumb kids if that makes sense....

15. Apr 12, 2013 #14

jedishrfu

You have about 3/2 of a year to decide as that's how long most relationships last.

You could ask her to do a reading about your future together and then you'll know for sure :-)

16. Apr 12, 2013 #15
    The level of intellect your kids would have will be based on how they are raised which is both the mom and dads responsibility. Like me and my girlfriend's dog, she's able to shake hands with strangers. Smart little ***** she is :rolleyes:

17. Apr 12, 2013 #16
    But they would be 'hot' so it would not matter.

18. Apr 12, 2013 #17

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

That is creepy on so many levels

19. Apr 12, 2013 #18

russ_watters

I had that issue with a girl. After a while, she learned, but still did it to annoy me and/or slipped every now and then. It most certainly is not on its own a good enough reason to break up with someone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook