Should I/Can I Double Major in EE and ME

In summary, if you want to double major in EE and ME, you will need to talk to your advisers to see if it is feasible. It may add a year or more to your plan, but it is a very worthwhile option.
nwilkins259
I'm currently a 3rd year (on a 5yr plan) EE major, but I've always been interested in ME, is it too late (or inadvisable or impossible) to start double majoring in ME now? EE's not easy but I am not struggling too badly.

I have a very vague idea of the double majoring process, would that be 2 separate degrees or 1 combined degree, would i have to complete them simultaneously?

Eventually i plan to get a masters in EE, should i focus on that instead of picking up ME?

Physics news on Phys.org
good luck

I have a very vague idea of the double majoring process, would that be 2 separate degrees or 1 combined degree, would i have to complete them simultaneously?
Depends on the school, so you need to talk to your advisers. Mine doesn't allow simultaneous degrees and would have required you to come back as a 2nd degree student.

As for recommended? It'll probably add at least a year (if not 2) to your plan and you still want to go to grad school. I'm just going to emphasize that you have to talk to your school's advisers about the feasibility of doing a double degree.

It's almost certainly one degree with two majors.

nwilkins259 said:
I'm currently a 3rd year (on a 5yr plan) EE major, but I've always been interested in ME, is it too late (or inadvisable or impossible) to start double majoring in ME now? EE's not easy but I am not struggling too badly.

Eventually i plan to get a masters in EE, should i focus on that instead of picking up ME?

Hmm if you started that at my university(NC State), then it would almost certainly be 2 extra years(6 years total). This is because so many ME classes have other ME classes as prerequisites, and not only that, most of the higher level courses are only offered in either the fall or spring semester, not both.

I say go for it, or at least maybe take some ME courses as EE electives if possible? Double majoring in EE and ME would leave you open for LOTS of options post graduation.

fss said:
It's almost certainly one degree with two majors.

at my school if you accumulate over 155 credit hours you are awarded two separate degrees. Otherwise it's one degree with two majors.

1. Should I double major in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

It ultimately depends on your interests, career goals, and time management skills. Double majoring in EE and ME can be challenging but can also provide a well-rounded education and open up more job opportunities. Consider speaking with academic advisors and current students in both majors to gather more information.

2. Can I handle the workload of double majoring in EE and ME?

Double majoring in two engineering disciplines can be demanding and time-consuming. It is important to carefully plan your course load and prioritize your time. Strong time management skills and a passion for both subjects can help make the workload more manageable.

3. Will a double major in EE and ME be beneficial for my career?

Having expertise in both electrical and mechanical engineering can make you a highly valuable candidate in industries that require a combination of skills, such as robotics, renewable energy, or aerospace. However, it is important to carefully consider your career goals and whether a double major aligns with them.

4. Are there any overlapping courses between EE and ME?

Yes, there are some courses that may count towards both majors, which can help reduce the overall workload. However, it is important to check with your university and department to see which courses can be double-counted and plan your schedule accordingly.

5. Can I still graduate on time with a double major in EE and ME?

It is possible to graduate on time with a double major, but it may require careful planning and potentially taking summer courses. It is important to work closely with your academic advisors to ensure you are on track to graduate within your desired timeframe.