Should I change my major to EE?

In summary: It's not about the money.EE is easier than CE, but that doesn't mean that everyone who major in EE will make more money than everyone who majors in CE. EE is more focused on electronics, while CE is more focused on chemical engineering. EE may be easier to get a job in, but CE is more employable.
JoshHolloway
I am currently majoring in chemical engineering, but I really am not finding it that interesting. I am in my first year, so I still have time to change my major and not have to take any extra classes. So I am taking the same classes this whole year that I would take if I were to major in about any branch of engineering. I have been interested in electronics for a few years now, and I already know a lot about electronics for never taking a formal class. The reason I chose Chemical Engineeing is because of the money. And I also chose it because I know that it is very easy to get a job with a chemical engineering degree. So my question is whether or not it is easy to get a job with a Electrical Engineering degree? If EE's are as employable, or at least almost as employable as Chem E's, then I would much rather major in EE.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have any facts about this, but from what I hear from friends studying EE, EEs are more employable than CEs. This is probably biased, but I've always thought of EE as being very employable.

I have never heard anyone say that EE's are more employable than Chem E's. But I just started researching the issue a few days ago. I sure do hope that you are right! Even if that is not true, and EE's are equally as employable as Chem E's then I am deffinetely changing my major to EE. It seems to me that there would be less people going into Chem E, and that is why it is so easy to get a job in that field, simply supply and demand. But it seems to me that there would actually be more EE jobs, but more people probabaly go into the field of EE. I don't know if that is true, but that is what I am guessing is the case.

JoshH. it is opposite; there are more Chem Eng students than EE. There are less jobs for Chem than EE graduates, also money too. The only thing for sure I can tell you Chem Eng is much easier program, and if you are not so good in math then better think 2x before you switch your majors.
Usually students from EE program are changing their major to Chem Eng bcs it is easier.

I absolutely love math. I am not great at math, but I do think of myself as being pretty good at it. And even if it is harder I think I will actually have a greater chance at succeeding in EE because I actually find electronics interesting whereas I am not finding myself to be very interested in chemistry.

Serbian.matematika said:
There are less jobs for Chem than EE graduates, also money too.
Every where I have read about the salary of these two fields has said that Chem E's make more money than EE's. I even read on CNN's website that Chemical Engineering was the highest paying job directly out of school in 2004 (for undergraduates.)

Last edited:
Seriously, money-wise, the difference is very small. Therefore, IMO, you should do whatever you find most interesting.

Yes, I agree.

Serbian.matematika said:
JoshH. it is opposite; there are more Chem Eng students than EE. There are less jobs for Chem than EE graduates, also money too. The only thing for sure I can tell you Chem Eng is much easier program, and if you are not so good in math then better think 2x before you switch your majors.
Usually students from EE program are changing their major to Chem Eng bcs it is easier.

Maybe at your school chem E is easier than EE, but not everywhere. At many schools, the chemE program is the hardest engineering program. But of course, at others, the EE program is hardest (UM - ann arbor, for instance). Many people believe chemE is harder because of the chemistry involved, but really, chemistry is NOT all that difficult.

JoshHolloway said:
Here is a link to a CNN article that has a list of average starting salaries. It says that Chem E's make more on average than EE's. Not much more, but more nonetheless.
http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/05/pf/college/lucrative_degrees/

I hope you didn't choose chemE solely based on salary statistics on CNN's website. First of all, the salary difference is VERY small there, and EEs could easily make more the next year, since the difference is negligible. You should pick the major that interests you the most. Engineering isn't a major you want to pick just because you want to make lots of money. They subject should also strongly interest you, because you won't make it through engineering alive if not.

JoshHolloway said:
I absolutely love math. I am not great at math, but I do think of myself as being pretty good at it. And even if it is harder I think I will actually have a greater chance at succeeding in EE because I actually find electronics interesting whereas I am not finding myself to be very interested in chemistry.

very simple. if you hate chemistry, you should change it. you might find electronics interesting. But the question is " do you rather read circuit diagram instead rate graph with your whole life?"

Well, I do not know how to read rate graphs yet (I am only in my first semester), but I do know how to read simple circuit diargrams already. And I do enjoy looking at schematics and figuring them out. I don't yet know how to create my own, but I would love to learn. And it is not that I do not like chemistry. I do like the theoretical stuff like molecular geometry and things like that. But I do not think that Chemical Engineers really use things like that. It seems to me that fluid mechanics and things like that would be the things I would use the most. And I do not find fluid dynamics interesting. I have tried to like it, but I just don't. But I love electronics. Thanks for the input everyone, I think I have made up my mind. I think EE is for me.

JoshHolloway said:
Well, I do not know how to read rate graphs yet (I am only in my first semester), but I do know how to read simple circuit diargrams already. And I do enjoy looking at schematics and figuring them out. I don't yet know how to create my own, but I would love to learn. And it is not that I do not like chemistry. I do like the theoretical stuff like molecular geometry and things like that. But I do not think that Chemical Engineers really use things like that. It seems to me that fluid mechanics and things like that would be the things I would use the most. And I do not find fluid dynamics interesting. I have tried to like it, but I just don't. But I love electronics. Thanks for the input everyone, I think I have made up my mind. I think EE is for me.

I don't know how ANYONE could enjoy fluid mechanics...what a horrendous topic. But you're right, most likely your mechanical engineering background (i.e. thermodynamics, fluids, statics, dynamics) you gain in chemical engineering will be used more than your chemistry background. Of course you'll be frequently using your rate kinetics knowledge, and you will be frequently using stoichiometry, but I'd imagine more so it will be ME knowledge you'd apply.

leright said:
I don't know how ANYONE could enjoy fluid mechanics...what a horrendous topic.

Agreed. It sucks.

leright said:
Maybe at your school chem E is easier than EE, but not everywhere. At many schools, the chemE program is the hardest engineering program. But of course, at others, the EE program is hardest (UM - ann arbor, for instance). Many people believe chemE is harder because of the chemistry involved, but really, chemistry is NOT all that difficult.

That's news to me. CE is known as girls program in engineering and EE is considered the hardest program at least here in Ontario, however I am a girl and in EE.

1. What are the job prospects for EE majors?

The job prospects for EE majors are very promising. Electrical engineers are in high demand in industries such as telecommunications, energy, and manufacturing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of electrical engineers is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

2. Is EE a difficult major?

EE can be a challenging major, as it requires a strong foundation in math and physics. However, with hard work and dedication, it is definitely achievable. Many universities offer resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students succeed in their EE courses.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in EE?

In addition to a strong understanding of math and physics, successful EE majors also possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong attention to detail. Having good communication and teamwork skills is also important, as electrical engineers often work in teams to design and develop new technologies.

4. What are the potential salaries for EE graduates?

The salary for EE graduates can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and experience. However, on average, EE graduates can expect to earn a starting salary of around $75,000 per year, with the potential for higher salaries as they gain more experience and advance in their careers.

5. Can I switch to EE if I have already completed some courses in a different major?

It is possible to switch to EE even if you have completed some courses in a different major. Many universities have transfer policies in place that allow students to transfer credits from other majors. However, it may require some additional coursework to catch up on any prerequisites for the EE major. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your specific situation.