1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I change my major?

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    I'm a Math major, and am considering a minor in Stats. The thing is, I keep getting told that a math degree won't get me anywhere, besides teaching. I've been told to go into engineering instead. The problem is, I don't think I'm the "hands-on" type of person, and I know engineering is hands-on work. Also, it's a male-dominated field, so I don't think it would be too comfortable for me, considering i'm a girl. I'm just confused, I feel kind of pressured. What else can I go into?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What do you want to do?

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure...

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well give it some thought before going headlong into a certain major :)

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5

Dembadon

Gold Member

Figuring out what you want to do is certainly the next step, but I want to address something else in your post.

That is not true.

http://www.maa.org/careers/

If you're looking to teach and do research, then yes you'll need a PhD. However, teaching and research are not the only options available to you, and it's unfortunate that people believe this.

http://books.google.com/books?id=BBZMl1lMnZcC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

One example from the book in that link:

Jack Cassidy obtained his BA in mathematics and got a job at Hewlett Packard developing algorithms that control "All-in-one" devices (printers, copiers, faxes, etc.).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook