1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i change my major

1. Dec 19, 2011 #1
    again, im in a bit of a dilemma, as my screen-name would suggest lol
    so im currently in physics+CS and im wondering if i should switch to math+CS, but if i switch to math+CS and ill have to take more logic and theoretical CS courses, which im not too interested in, if i stay in physics+CS , ill have more space to take graduate level math courses in my field of interest (combinatorial game theory), im interested in applying to grad school in applied math, any advice on whether switching into the Math/CS would look better on my application or the Physics/CS with more higher math courses in my field of interest
    as always, any help much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If you want to get into a math program, do math.

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3
    iv already taken a lot of math courses (cal 2,3,4, lin alg. ode, pde, discrete math, probability, analysis,) and im planning on taking combinatorics(graduate), game theory(graduate) and optimization(graduate), its just i don't have any undergrad logic, abstract algebra and theoretical CS courses, which are required for the math+CS thing, i guess im asking if grad. schools look at the courses you've taken or at the degree,

5. Dec 19, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes they look at the courses but why are you even considering staying in physics?

6. Dec 19, 2011 #5
    because otherwise i'll have no space to take the interesting graduate courses mentioned above and ill have to take a bunch of logic and computability courses, which i don't find particularly interesting , and i don't think they'll be very useful for grad school in applied math

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook