1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Should I CLEP out of Chemistry?

Tags:
  1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    Background: 1st year freshman, CLEPed out of Cal I since couldn't take the class 1st semester (scored 79/80, so think that my knowledge in the subject is good enough).

So, my degree plan requires that I take General Chemistry I and II. However, I am not the biggest fan of Chemistry and would really love it if I did not have to take the class. I am supposed to take the class in the 2nd semester, but the professor I am researching under asked me to enroll in one of his Astrophysics classes and I would love to take it. The problem is that it will be a lot of work (given that I might even start working next semester) with the classes that I am planning to take (the number represent the credit hours):

Calculus II (4), General Technical Physics I (I do have a lot of background in this) (4), English 2 (3), General Chemistry I (4) and Independent Research (3).

And the maximum number of hours that I can take per semester is 19. So, to solve this problem, I thought that I would give the CLEP for Chemistry I and II during the summer of 2017 and replace Chem I next semester with my professor's class. And during my third semester, instead of Chem II, I would take yet another Astrophysics class by him.

Does this plan sound okay? Will it look bad on my grad school application that I CLEPed out of 3 classes (it won't show my scores, just pass/fail)?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2
    It depends, what is your background in chemistry?

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3
    I was very good at chemistry in high school and likely could have tested out. However, I liked chemistry a lot so I took it.

I'm glad I did, because chemistry mastery is often useful for a physicist.

Also, keep in mind that high school physics teachers in low demand, but the ability to teach both physics and chemistry makes one employable in many high schools where the ability to teach physics by itself may not.

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4
    I pretty much already know most of Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II. I'd just need to revise the entire thing and learn a few new things. I know this by seeing the syllabus of CLEP that has been posted, along with giving the sample test online: https://clep.collegeboard.org/exam/chemistry/questions. And because I will prepping for it during the summer, even if I don't know a lot about it, I'd be able to do so during the 3 months.

6. Dec 10, 2016 #5
    Well, I am pretty sure that I do not wanna be a high school teacher and I really do not like Chemistry even though I am quite good at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted