Thermodynamics Course for EE Students: Should I Complain?

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
In summary, due to scheduling and the professor's lost voice, one thermodynamics class has had more lecture time and is ahead in covering the material. The current class is only on chapter 4 and may only cover 6-7.5 chapters by the end of the semester, while the other class is finishing or starting chapter 6. The importance of a thermodynamics course for an electrical engineering student depends on their specialization, but it may be beneficial to cover the rest of the material on their own with the professor's guidance. Complaining may not yield results and retaking the class with another instructor is not feasible.
kdinser
Here is the situation, because of how the class is scheduled and the date that classes began, the other thermo class has had 2 more lectures then we have (5 hous of lecture time). We also lost almost another full lecture when the professor lost her voice at the beginning of class. Add to that, she seems to be going very slow in presenting the material. According to the syllabus, we are supposed to cover 10 chapters from our book. We have just started chapter 4 and we only have another month and a few days left of class. At best we are going to get through 6, maybe 7.5 chapters. The other thermo class is currently finishing chapter 6 or starting chapter 7 today.

How important is a thermodynamics course to an electrical engineering student? Should I just forget about it and be thankful that my final will be about 10 times easier then the other classes final, due to the limited amount of material we have covered? I doubt complaining would get me anything other then a chance to retake the class with another instructor, this is not something I have time to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
thermodynamics is not required for EE at my university. of course it depends on which part of EE you're doing. I'm working towards photonics so quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics are recommended. you can always try to cover rest of the book on your own (and consult professor if you run into any problems, most professor don't mind that).

I understand your concerns about the pace and coverage of your thermodynamics course. It is important for students of electrical engineering to have a solid understanding of thermodynamics, as it is a fundamental concept in the field. However, it is not uncommon for courses to have variations in pace and coverage depending on the instructor and schedule.

In this situation, I would suggest speaking with your professor about your concerns. They may be able to provide additional resources or adjust the pace of the course to ensure that the important concepts are covered. It is also important to keep in mind that the quality of your understanding and retention of the material is more important than just covering a certain number of chapters.

In terms of your final exam, it is important to remember that the difficulty of the exam is not solely based on the amount of material covered. Your professor may choose to focus on the most important concepts and principles rather than trying to cover everything in the textbook. Additionally, your understanding of the material and ability to apply it is what will ultimately determine your success on the exam.

In summary, I would advise against complaining and instead focus on communicating your concerns with your professor and finding ways to enhance your understanding of the material. Thermodynamics is an important course for electrical engineering students and it is worth putting in the effort to fully grasp the concepts.

1. What are the topics covered in a thermodynamics course for EE students?

A thermodynamics course for EE students typically covers topics such as laws of thermodynamics, properties of pure substances, thermodynamic processes, thermodynamic cycles, thermodynamic equilibrium, and energy conversion.

2. Is a thermodynamics course necessary for EE students?

Yes, a thermodynamics course is essential for EE students as it provides a fundamental understanding of energy and its conversion, which is essential in the field of electrical engineering.

3. How difficult is a thermodynamics course for EE students?

The difficulty level of a thermodynamics course for EE students may vary depending on an individual's background and understanding of the subject. However, with proper studying and practice, it can be manageable.

4. Can I complain if I find the thermodynamics course challenging?

Yes, you can voice your concerns and seek help from your professor or teaching assistant. They are there to assist you in understanding the course material and to make your learning experience more manageable.

5. How can I succeed in a thermodynamics course for EE students?

To succeed in a thermodynamics course, it is essential to attend lectures regularly, take notes, and actively participate in class discussions. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help when needed can also contribute to your success in the course.