Can I Skip Math 1314 for Calculus I with a TSI Score of 350?

In summary, the individual took the TSI in January and scored okay in the English part, but is confused about their math score. They are trying to become a mechanical engineer and need to take Calculus I, but the TSI suggests enrolling in Math 1314. However, they are considering skipping this and going straight into Calculus I. They did not study for the TSI and only found out about it when a counselor at their high school asked them to sign up. They have now enrolled in a Math 1314 class for the summer and are wondering if they can skip Pre-calculus, but it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry for Calculus I. It is recommended to check with
coolsupermanfly
I took the TSI in January this year. I scored ok in the English part, and I'm confused on the math part. Here is my math score from the TSI paper:

TSI Mathematic Placement: 350

MATH 1314, 1324, 1332, 1342
Enroll in Math 1314, College Algebra. You also qualify for Math 1324, 1332, 1342.

I'm trying to become a mechanical engineer and my college's Program Plan requires me to take Calculus I. The TSI says I should Enroll in Math 1314 but I want to go into Calculus I as soon as I start my fall college courses. Would it be a good idea for me to skip Math 1314 and go straight into Calculus I?

Note: I didn't study for the TSI, nor did I know I had to take it until a counselor at my high school asked me if I wanted to sign up for the TSI.

Edit:
Just enrolled in a Math 1314 class for the summer. Now I'm wondering if I could skip Pre-calculus.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
College Algebra and Precalculus may be separate courses. The "College Algebra" part of Precalculus should be the same or equivalent enough in both. Best to check with your school and how the actual content of either course prepares you for Calculus 1, but you should do at least ONE of them. One needs heavy-duty algebra skills and significant Trigonometry knowledge for Calculus.

1. Can I skip Math 1314 if I have a TSI score of 350?

Yes, you can skip Math 1314 for Calculus I with a TSI score of 350.

2. What is the TSI score and how is it related to Math 1314?

TSI stands for Texas Success Initiative and it is a test that measures your readiness for college-level courses. Math 1314 is a college-level math course and a TSI score of 350 or higher indicates that you are ready to skip this course and move on to Calculus I.

3. Can I skip Math 1314 even if I did not take it in high school?

Yes, as long as you have a TSI score of 350 or higher, you can skip Math 1314 regardless of whether you took it in high school or not.

4. Is there a minimum TSI score requirement to skip Math 1314?

Yes, the minimum TSI score requirement to skip Math 1314 is 350. However, some colleges may have higher requirements, so it is best to check with your college or university for their specific requirements.

5. What should I do if I do not have a TSI score of 350 but still want to skip Math 1314?

If you do not have a TSI score of 350, you can try to improve your score by studying and retaking the TSI test. You can also speak with your college or university to see if they have any alternative options for skipping Math 1314.