1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I do Power (Energy) or Communications in Grad School for Elec. Engineering?

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    I'm thinking of doing graduate school in the near future and was wondering whether I should go for power or communications for electrical engineering. I am interested in both fields so the work load won't really be a problem. What I am interested in is the pros and cons of doing either field. For example, which of them provides better benefits for getting employment in the industry? Which of them has more research opportunities?

I have not yet decided whether I want to land in industry or research for my career. For now, I would like to know what either field provides so I can weigh my options. You can be as detailed as you want with your answers just as long as they are helpful.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    Re: Should I do Power (Energy) or Communications in Grad School for Elec. Engineering

I think Power is more marketable for now.. I have never had of an unemployed power engineer

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    Re: Should I do Power (Energy) or Communications in Grad School for Elec. Engineering

Shouldn't you go to grad school to do research?

In terms of job prospects, I'm not sure which is better than which, both should get you plenty of jobs since they are on demand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook