Is Pursuing a Backup Plan Worth It If It Makes You Unhappy?

• Thread starter Docscientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary: It's one of the things I love about life."In summary, the author loves the feeling of going to the top of a mountain without a safety net, and this is one of the things he loves about life.
Docscientist
I am being forced to do something that I hate for the next two years simply because THAT something can determine my future.Learning THAT something is like a back up plan in case I failed to achieve anything in doing something that I love.
You can visualise it as being forced to ride your hated bicycle as a back up plan so that you can ride it in case your loved car breaks down.But...You will have hope that your loved car will never let you down,won't you ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Docscientist said:
I am being forced to do something that I hate for the next two years simply because THAT something can determine my future.Learning THAT something is like a back up plan in case I failed to achieve anything in doing something that I love.
You can visualise it as being forced to ride your hated bicycle as a back up plan so that you can ride it in case your loved car breaks down.But...You will have hope that your loved car will never let you down,won't you ?

I never made a cent doing anything I enjoyed doing.

Likes Fervent Freyja and Sophia
It's always good to have a backup plan. Life can be tough and you may end up in a completely different place than you want to be. It's wise to be prepared for such situation. Positive thinking and visualisations in "The Secret" ( that popular book) style usually don't work. Sad but true.

Likes Docscientist
Docscientist said:
This is too vague for a useful reply to be possible and doesn't seem to have any connection with the title of the thread.

russ_watters said:
This is too vague for a useful reply to be possible and doesn't seem to have any connection with the title of the thread.
It's like this "should I learn to ride a car just because I love it or should I learn to ride a bicycle as my car might break down at any time ?" Now does it sound connected to the title.?
Basically,it is about whether you should do what you love in spite of the fact that you might fail in achieving anything by doing it.

Sophia said:
It's always good to have a backup plan. Life can be tough and you may end up in a completely different place than you want to be. It's wise to be prepared for such situation. Positive thinking and visualisations in "The Secret" ( that popular book) style usually don't work. Sad but true.
What makes you say that ? Did you undergo some situation in your life that made you say this ?

Hornbein said:
I never made a cent doing anything I enjoyed doing.
Doesn't doing something you hate lead you to anxiety ?

Docscientist said:
What makes you say that ? Did you undergo some situation in your life that made you say this ?
Yes. In my life and I see it in lives of some people I know.
I really don't want to be pessimistic. Sure, do what you love if you get a chance. Dream and have goals. But if you have the opportunity to get an education or skills that could be used to earn money, go for it. Or, if you truly hate that thing, look for something else, that you don't hate so much. There are plenty of possibilities. Just have a backup plan.

Likes Docscientist
Docscientist said:
I am being forced to do something that I hate for the next two years simply because THAT something can determine my future.

I am afraid this is life. You can't always do only what you want and still achieve your goals.

Likes Docscientist and russ_watters
Docscientist said:
It's like this "should I learn to ride a car just because I love it or should I learn to ride a bicycle as my car might break down at any time ?" Now does it sound connected to the title.?
Basically,it is about whether you should do what you love in spite of the fact that you might fail in achieving anything by doing it.
The OP says you are being forced to do something else, which doesn't have anything to do with whether you should do the thing you love even if you fail to achieve anything. But sure: you should learn to drive a car and you should learn to ride a bike. Both are useful skills to know.

On the other hand:
"I love climbing mountains upside-down, with no safety apparatus. Should I do what I love?"
No.

"But I'm being forced to take two years off to serve my jail sentence, during which time I can lift a lot of weights to make myself a better upside-down climber. Should I do what I love then?"
Still no.

Likes cnh1995
A plan B is an excuse to fail. I say take the risk and do what you love.

Docscientist said:
This is too vague. If you want suggestions, please PM me what the situation is and perhaps we can restart the thread with some useful information, otherwise, this thread is done.

Likes Fervent Freyja and Sophia

1. "Why is it important to do what I love?"

Doing what you love can bring a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction in your life. It also allows you to pursue your passions and interests, which can lead to personal growth and development.

2. "How do I know if I truly love something?"

You can determine if you truly love something by examining how you feel when you are doing it. If you feel excited, motivated, and happy, it is likely something you love. You can also reflect on your values and see if the activity aligns with them.

3. "What if what I love doesn't align with my career goals?"

It is important to find a balance between doing what you love and pursuing a career that aligns with your goals. If your passion does not directly translate into a career, you can still find ways to incorporate it into your life, such as through a hobby or side project.

4. "Will doing what I love make me successful?"

There is no guarantee that doing what you love will make you successful, as success can be defined in many ways. However, pursuing your passions can lead to a more fulfilling and meaningful life. It may also increase your chances of success as you will be more motivated and driven to excel in something you are passionate about.

5. "What if I don't know what I love to do?"

It is completely normal to not know what you love to do. You can explore different activities, hobbies, and interests to find out what brings you joy and fulfillment. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor to help you discover your passions.