Should I double in math or CS?

• Thread starter narps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs
In summary, the speaker is starting as an undergrad at Caltech and is interested in majoring in physics. They are considering doubling in math or computer science, and are more interested in theoretical physics. They are seeking insights on which major would be better for their career choices, with the potential for computer science to be a beneficial backup if they decide to leave physics. The expert suggests that a math major may be more directly related to physics, but a CS major could also provide useful skills and keep career options open.
narps
So I'm going to be an undergrad at Caltech starting this September. Physics is my main interest, although I also like math and computer science. My main question is what to major in. I will obviously major in physics, but I am also considering doubling in either math or computer science. I am more into theoretical physics than experimental physics, which would lead me to believe that math would be better. But couldn't a knowledge of computer science also be beneficial even for theoretical physics? Also I feel like computer science would be a great backup if I got out of physics for any reason, even though I am not anticipating doing so now. Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
One can definitely make an argument for either choice. I would point out that while physics majors are often encouraged to take some CS classes, usually this is so that they learn some programming and also some computational techniques that they can apply to physics. Doing an actual CS major involves a lot more than this, and in my opinion a math major is more directly related to physics. However, if you want to double-major in order to keep your career choices open, a CS major sounds like a good way to do this.

1. Should I choose math or CS as my major?

Ultimately, the decision to double major in math or CS depends on your personal interests and career goals. Math and CS are both highly technical fields with many overlapping concepts, so it may be beneficial to take courses in both and see which subject you enjoy more.

2. Will doubling in math and CS be too difficult?

Doubling in math and CS can be challenging, but it is certainly doable with careful planning and time management. It is important to prioritize your coursework and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a double major in math and CS?

With a double major in math and CS, you can pursue a variety of careers in industries such as technology, finance, data science, and research. Some common job titles include software engineer, data analyst, financial analyst, and academic researcher.

4. How can a double major in math and CS benefit me?

Having a strong background in both math and CS can open doors to a wide range of job opportunities and graduate programs. It can also provide a well-rounded skillset that can be applied in various fields, as both subjects involve critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.

5. Can I double major in math and CS if I have no prior experience in either subject?

While prior experience in math or CS can be helpful, it is not always necessary to successfully double major in both subjects. The key is to have a strong foundation in math and computer science fundamentals and to be willing to put in the effort to learn and improve.