Should I drop Physics?

I had better success as a professor convincing students to work hard from the first day of class and dispelling the myth that a weak start can be overcome with a strong finish.
I absolutely agree with the stark reality approach. Having taught the freshman engineering physics at two different institutions my policy was absolutely no late homework (one assignment would be "forgiven" at the end but I didn't announce that early on) and all exams count. The human tendency towards self-deception is remarkable and needs to be intercepted early.
By the same token I never turned away a student seeking help.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Boo hoo. I went 4 years without any test grades dropped. Step up and handle it. Own every grade you EARNED.

Look at your long term plan. What courses have this class as a pre-req? Do you need to pass it to keep your planned schedule next semester? Now stop whining and get ready for real life.
I personally don't rely on dropped test scores, I was just answering someone else's question. I wouldn't want to get by with free grades, I know that wouldn't help me understand the material.

I know that wouldn't help me understand the material.
Let me ask you two pointed questions that may help (you can discuss them or not)
  1. When walking into a course lecture, if someone asked you what the lecture was going to be about could you have answered with a short recitation? Did you even read the assigned material beforehand?
  2. What fraction of assigned problems did you do (more or less by yourself)? It not 100% how often did you avail yourself of the teacher's (or assistant) office hours?
Hopefully food for thought.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Let me ask you two pointed questions that may help (you can discuss them or not)
  1. When walking into a course lecture, if someone asked you what the lecture was going to be about could you have answered with a short recitation? Did you even read the assigned material beforehand?
  2. What fraction of assigned problems did you do (more or less by yourself)? It not 100% how often did you avail yourself of the teacher's (or assistant) office hours?
Hopefully food for thought.
Yeah, I could explain. And the textbook helped very little because the problems we do are more complicated than what the example problems offered in the textbook. Maybe it's good for a better understanding of some topics, but that's about it. The homework was also too easy. I worked at least 30 minutes to an hour on physics each day, but I know the problem lies with the way I study.

You realize that you didn't actually answer either of my questions, yes.?.....

You realize that you didn't actually answer either of my questions, yes.?.....
No, I think my answer is sufficient. I worked on practice problems from past tests on my own.

berkeman
Mentor
No, I think my answer is sufficient.
Okay. That's a good note to close this thread on. Sincere thanks to all who have contributed.

Likes hutchphd