Is dropping this Linear Algebra class worth it for my future as a physicist?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with a Linear Algebra class taught by an incompetent instructor and a difficult textbook. The student is considering dropping the class and retaking it after transferring to another school. They are also struggling with the workload and questioning the relevance of the material to their desired career as a physicist. The conversation ends with the suggestion to stick it out for one more month or drop the class and the reassurance that a C is not a bad grade.
lubuntu
What is better to possibly get a C in a class or just drop it and retake it after I transfer somewhere else?

I have a really bad Linear Algebra course that is taught by an inept instructor who is well "past his prime." Complemented with a very obscure and difficult to understand book. I've been using other resources to learn the material and the funny thing is I like and understand the topics of linear algebra. But when I come but to this horrible book to do the problem sets I find the author has some awkward way of doing things or introduced some non-standard topic or something else that just through me way off.

I know how these forums work so let me just get it out of the way and say that I am not just whining or convincing myself I understand material that I really don't. The class is just really really bad. I'd hate to drop it but I feel like for my own good I have to, the amount of work I have to put in just to try to sync up topics from book I can understand with this professors book is tremendous. Combine this with the fact the instructor wants 2 problems sets a week done and various other stuff.

Finally, I want to be a physicist and I know Linear Algebra is important but the way the material is being covered here makes it feel almost as if Linear Algebra is irrelevant to the real world.

Should I just drop it and release myself of the stress this class is causing me or just try to stick out for another month and simply focus on my other classes more?

Physics news on Phys.org
One more month really isn't that bad. The question is if you can live with a bad mark on your record (Personally, I don't think a C is that bad but everyone is different).

I was in a similar page with my Linear Algebra course...bad professor...bad book (erm we had no paper book, we used an online book instead)...poor understanding and poor scores.

...knowing importance of Linear Algebra in Physics i was wondering the same thing as you are...BUT then i thought i'll get to review important Linear Algebra concepts in "Mathematics for Physicists" course...and then i just got it over with.

btw,i don't see C as a bad grade, as long as you don't have bunch of them ;p

1. Should I drop this class if it's too challenging for me?

It ultimately depends on your individual situation and goals. Dropping a challenging class may alleviate some stress, but it could also hinder your progress towards your degree. Consider talking to your academic advisor for personalized advice.

2. Will dropping this class affect my GPA?

Yes, dropping a class will result in a "W" on your transcript, which could potentially lower your GPA. However, one "W" is usually not a significant impact on your overall GPA. It's important to weigh the potential impact on your GPA against the reasons for wanting to drop the class.

3. Can I drop a class at any point in the semester?

Most universities have a deadline for dropping a class without it appearing on your transcript. After this deadline, you may still be able to withdraw from the class, but it will likely result in a "W" on your transcript. Check with your university's policies and deadlines for dropping classes.

4. Is it better to drop a class or just stick it out and try to pass?

Again, this depends on your individual situation. If you are struggling to pass the class and it's not a required course for your major, it may be better to drop it and focus on other classes. However, if it's a required course or you think you can still pass with effort, it may be worth sticking it out. Consider talking to your professor or academic advisor for guidance.

5. Can I retake a class if I drop it?

Yes, you can typically retake a class that you have dropped. However, some universities may have a limit on how many times you can retake a class or may have other restrictions. It's best to check with your university's policies on retaking classes.