1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i get an mba?

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    i am a 3rd year b.e. in comp. science from india. ever since i was very young i wanted to be a mechanical engineer. but **** happened and i ended up where i am right now. i don't want to study computers any further, and i feel i wouldn't like a job in this field either. so sholuld i get an mba? i do find all those business case studies and stuff a bit interesting. if i should get an mba, could people point me in the right direction for cat and gmat preparation?
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2
    I think the answer you'll get varies a lot with the type of school you're looking at and what your expectations are from an MBA. Top programs in the US generally require 3+ years of work experience before they will consider most candidates. The types of jobs held by MBAs also vary widely with the school attended. Top 3ish schools will have median graduating salaries in the $150k range with salaries quickly dropping off to sub-100k levels and down to below undergrad engineering pay levels.

Without experience or a relevant undergrad degree it may or may not be very difficult to use the MBA to change fields. This is a very difficult question to answer generally.

4. Sep 6, 2009 #3
    First, figure out what you really want to do in life and then figure out what you need to do to achieve that goal. MBA may or may not be necessary. There may also be more steps to take before you reach the MBA part, like building a solid work experience profile and background for your MBA application, as well as getting a high GMAT, etc. Nothing is easy in life, whichever path you choose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook