1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I give up on Physics

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1
    I want to be a Physicist very badly. But after taking my first pre-calc exam in college and not doing well at all I do not know if I am cut out for Physics. It would really upset me if I could not do it. But my mom told me that I would not be able to make it. I even went home today to get a jump start on the next math chapter to hopefully do better. I really do not want to give up but everyone is against me. Any advice? I really want to stick this through.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2
    We believe in you! Do not give up! Use the haters opinions as motivation. Prove them wrong. Study your butt off! Ask all your questions on PF.

4. Sep 22, 2016 #3
    Thanks, greg. I am going to really try for this.

5. Sep 22, 2016 #4
    You only live once. Go big and give it your all!

6. Sep 22, 2016 #5
    Every successful person has a story of where people doubted them.

7. Sep 22, 2016 #6
    I really appreciate the advice. My only concern is that I do not have the brain power.

8. Sep 22, 2016 #7
    Nonsense, if you have the desire and passion you can do it. People are good at what they enjoy.

9. Sep 22, 2016 #8
    I'm a graduate student right now, but my freshman year I failed my first physics test and my first calculus test in the same week. And I'm talking <30% on both. I knew then that I had to work my tail off, and I ended up graduating with a 4.0. There are two kinds of responses to that kind of thing - one is to get down about it and switch majors because it's so hard. The other is to get back up and try again, which it sounds like you're doing. Good luck :)

10. Sep 22, 2016 #9
    I am really surprised by how positive you guys are. Everyone says Physicists are the most arrogant people. Everyone I have encountered so far has been amazing. I will keep with it and I won't give up. Thanks guys

11. Sep 22, 2016 #10

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the response which means that some people too easily stop trying:
    One often must continue trying, and sometimes repeat things to make sure to succeed. Lack of conditioning, lack of experience, sometimes just immaturity, lack of patience, lack of sustained effort; all and others might be reasons why people do not always do well in some classes.

A few, maybe arrogant yes. NOT most of them. Most are just very confident of themselves and are often very up-to-date about what they are teaching. You may also find you confuse impatience on their part with arrogance in the presence of poorly prepared students - hard to say - but from a student's point of view, a physics professor does not always know exactly what a students problem is. Physics professors are also seeing students from other major-fields having viewpoints of goals much different than that of physics enthusiasts. This can make a physics professor very uncomfortable after a while.

12. Sep 22, 2016 #11
    I struggled greatly in the early days of my college education. I even took a break of about six years! I'm getting my bachelors later this year. My final GPA will be around the 3.9 range for physics related courses. I'm not sure what the change was, the biggest thing might have been hating my very average job that was nothing like what I wanted to do. I was tutoring a lot of the people who were in school at my place of employment (math and physics). I realized how much I loved it more than doing anything else pretty much, so I went back. Anytime I got a bit down or discouraged I just remembered how horrible the alternative was, so I picked those books back up and did what I had to do!

Stick with it if it's what you want. If you live and breathe it you can do it.

13. Sep 23, 2016 #12

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Crush1986
    Along with the tutoring you did during your nonphysics-related jobs, did you also review the material to relearn it or learn it better?

14. Sep 23, 2016 #13
    Only the times I was brought something I didn't remember. Then I'd just ask them to leave their book with me and I'd read it. I had a job where I just watched monitors all night for 12 hours, so I had a lot of time if that is what I was doing.

15. Sep 23, 2016 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well that's because *I* haven't chimed in on this!

{ZapperZ cowered upon the death glare from @Greg Bernhardt }

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted