Choosing a Career in Physics: General or Experimental & Theoretical?

• Thread starter shinokk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is considering a career in physics and is deciding between general physics and experimental and theoretical physics. They are worried about their basic understanding of math and physics being enough to successfully finish either course. They are also concerned about the lack of physics and math classes in their current school curriculum. However, they have the option to take a foundation year to catch up on these subjects. Ultimately, they are reassured that the purpose of university is to increase knowledge and their initial level of understanding does not determine their ability to obtain a degree. They are considering pursuing physics despite their concerns.
shinokk
In the past few months I've really began to like physics. In the past year, I was sure I was going to become an English teacher/translator or something language related but in the light of the last physics lessons we learned (my class doesn't have physics as a subject anymore) I decided that I would prefer becoming a physics teacher (or a scientist!). However, there are a few problems. At math, I'm pretty knowledgeable on the basic stuff (also no more maths for my class for the next 1 and a half year) and I'm familiar with the basic principles of physics, but before choosing which University I'm going to enroll at and which course, I have 1 and a half year (my knowledge might decrease, but I'm thinking of homeschooling myself not to forget them). I have come down to two options (if I decide for physics): general physics (then becoming a teacher) or experimental and theoretical physics (then getting a Phd, becoming a scientist). Now, I'm worried that this basic stuff will be enough to enable me to enroll at one of those courses, but also that it won't be enough for me to successfully finish one of them. So, my question would be: Should I go for general or e&t physics? Remember that I have basic understandings of both and both seem equally interesting to me (ok... maybe QM a bit more interesting).

Physics news on Phys.org
What country are you in? In the US, you'd just major in physics. There's no differentiation at the undergrad level.

In the UK, if you're worried about not having the prerequisites, you can apply for a "Foundation Year", where you just go and cover the 2 years of A level Physics and Maths, then you rejoin the main programme for a 3 year BSc.

In the UK you can do things like "theoretical physics" at undergrad, but there is little effective distinction in terms of employability, just a slightly different courseload. (less labs and more computing/maths).

I'm in Serbia and things are a bit different here than in the US. After 3 years of general physics in a physics faculty (college for physics, don't know if that's what you call it) I can become a teacher, but I need 4 years of e&t physics to continue education or try to get a job. My main concern is, will I be able to finish those 3 years successfully? Like I said in my previous post, I have basic understandings of both math and physics and that would be enough for me to enroll it, but will it be enough to help me finish it? Is it very hard?

You say "my class doesn't have physics as a subject anymore ... also no more maths for my class for the next 1 and a half year..." That seems pretty strange for anyone thinking of doing a physics degree! Can't you insist on changing to do mostly maths & physics? Even if it means repeating a year, or changing schools?

shinokk said:
I have basic understandings of both math and physics and that would be enough for me to enroll it, but will it be enough to help me finish it? Is it very hard?

This is a weird question.The whole point of going to a university is that you want increase your level of knowledge. A couple of weeks into your first semester your level of knowledge will be above your level when you enrolled.Getting your degree depends on your ability to raise yourself at the level required by the university not on your initial level of understanding.

Knowing as much stuff at the beginning helps, but if it would be enough to get you trough your degree than why would you bother.

mal4mac said:
You say "my class doesn't have physics as a subject anymore ... also no more maths for my class for the next 1 and a half year..." That seems pretty strange for anyone thinking of doing a physics degree! Can't you insist on changing to do mostly maths & physics? Even if it means repeating a year, or changing schools?

I could do that, but that would mean I would have to pass a few tests and pay some money to get transferred. Also, losing a year here is a big taboo - people start looking at you like you're mentally ill or something like that.

bp_psy said:
This is a weird question.The whole point of going to a university is that you want increase your level of knowledge. A couple of weeks into your first semester your level of knowledge will be above your level when you enrolled.Getting your degree depends on your ability to raise yourself at the level required by the university not on your initial level of understanding.

Knowing as much stuff at the beginning helps, but if it would be enough to get you trough your degree than why would you bother.

Thank you, your words are reassuring and they actually make a lot of sense. My mind isn't yet completely set, but I'm probably going to try physics and hopefully I won't fail.

1. Should I go for physics?

The decision to pursue physics as a career can be a difficult one. Here are some factors to consider:

• Interest: Do you have a strong interest in understanding the laws of the universe and how things work at a fundamental level?
  • Skills: Are you good at problem solving, critical thinking, and math?
  • Career goals: What are your long-term career goals and how can a physics degree help you achieve them?
  • Curiosity: Are you naturally curious and always asking questions about the world around you?
  • Passion: Do you have a passion for learning and exploring new ideas?

If you answered yes to most of these questions, then pursuing physics may be a good fit for you.

2. What can I do with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can open up a variety of career paths, including:

• Research scientist in academia or industry
  • Engineer in fields such as aerospace, energy, or telecommunications
  • Data analyst or scientist in fields such as finance or healthcare
  • Teacher or professor
  • Science writer or communicator

Additionally, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills you gain from studying physics can be applied to many other fields.

3. Is physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, as it requires a strong foundation in math and a willingness to grapple with complex concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly achievable. Many students also find the subject matter to be incredibly rewarding and enjoyable.

4. What are the benefits of studying physics?

Studying physics can provide numerous benefits, including:

• Developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied to many other fields
  • Gaining a deep understanding of how the world works at a fundamental level
  • Preparing for a variety of career paths in science, technology, engineering, and math
  • Contributing to the advancement of human knowledge and understanding
  • Joining a community of passionate and curious individuals

5. What are the challenges of pursuing a career in physics?

Like any career, pursuing physics may come with its own set of challenges, such as:

• The demanding coursework and need for strong math skills
  • Competition for research opportunities and jobs in the field
  • The need for continuous learning and keeping up with advancements in the field
  • Possible long hours and high pressure in research or industry settings
  • The potential for low pay in certain areas, such as academia

However, for many individuals passionate about physics, the rewards outweigh these challenges.