1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I go see my professor?

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    Alright so I'm a sophomore student right now. I'm enrolled in what I feel like is a hard Astrophysics class. Myself having only taken calculus based physics I&II. I just made an 80 and a 50 on my homeworks. I don't know why I'm struggling so much. I was really good in physics I&II. I want to do research with professor and I'm really passionate about physics. Should I go talk to him? If so, what should I say?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2
    I would suggest talking to your professor, but plan out what you want to say. Don't just go and tell him "I don't know why I'm struggling so much" but rather attempt to show him. Bring him a couple questions you missed on homework/exams and have specific questions about why your work/line of thinking was incorrect. This will 1) show him you don't just care about the grade, 2) you'll probably actually learn the material that you're struggling with, and 3) maybe he'll explain that everyone else is having trouble, and you shouldn't worry.

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    Do you think I've lost my chance at doing research?

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4
    I don't know nearly enough about the situation to pass a judgement on that, but either way you're only a sophomore, you shouldn't get hyper focused on doing research with this one professor. There are tons of opportunities if you're ambitious!

6. Mar 6, 2014 #5
    How would I go about asking for research? I'm required to do a thesis and I need to spend my junior year doing research!

Thank you for your help! :D

7. Mar 7, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

If it's a requirement, then presumably there will be a procedure for assigning you a thesis topic, or allowing you to select one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook