Should I go to Graduate School?

In summary, the decision to continue in physics or pursue other interests ultimately depends on your personal goals and passions. It may be worth researching graduate programs and speaking with professors to determine if it aligns with your interests and goals.
skepta
To help understand my dilema I'll give a little background about my bachelor studies:

I decided to do my bachelors degree in Germany, and was totally unprepared for the level of rigour demanded of me. Even during the first year Lectures were typically on the graduate level (landau-lifschits, Jackson for electrodynamics etc). We often found solutions to our problem sets were taken from PHD qualifying exams. I was not used to this, coming from America and became really depressed at my lack of success in physics. To survive I gave up trying to understand theoretical physics as deeply as I wanted to, and focused simply on grades. I know this is not the correct attitude to have, and it depressed me to “settle” with myself like this, but I realized at that point that I would never be the best physicist in the world, and now I had the choice between being a mediocre physicist or no physicist at all. So I decided to put my head down and keep going.

Now my degree will soon be finished. I have a GPA of roughly 3.0 – 3.2 which seems to be the lower limit for most graduate schools (but in Germany is not as bad, the grading here is a little more strict). I have a couple of recommendation letters that will be positive. My professors watched me struggle initially and saw that I did not quit and tried my best to make up the gaps in my knowledge. They said they will focus on that aspect in my letters, not simply my final grades.

My two questions are now:

1) Are these qualifications enough to be admitted to a graduate program back in the United States or Canada. What schools should I be aiming at applying to?

2) More importantly, is it even worth it to go on in physics at this point when I don’t find physics “fun” anymore. When I first entered physics I was really excited about everything I was going to learn. But now, for me it’s work. I do love looking back on my progress though, and seeing everything I’ve learned and accomplished.
If I do go to grad school, it will most likely be more of me just furiously working away, while others seem to accomplish much more with less effort. I have no doubt that I could manage the stresses and work load of graduate school after completing this program in Germany, but perhaps I have the wrong attitude about it all and my energy should be focused elsewhere. I’m in the prime of my life and good at a lot of things - physics is perhaps the thing that I’m the worst at. Unfortunately I find it the only subject worthy of intellectual attention. Nevertheless, I am drawn to physics by a sense of duty rather than an aching need to go to class every day.

I know this was long, thanks for reading my rants and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your two questions is that it really depends on you and what your goals are. If you find that you are still passionate about physics, then it may be worth applying to graduate programs in the US or Canada. You should research the programs that you are interested in and see what their requirements are. Additionally, you should reach out to the professors of those programs to get a better understanding of their expectations. If you find that you have lost passion for physics, then you may want to consider exploring other fields and interests that you may have. It is important to follow your passions and find something that excites you and motivates you to pursue it.

1. Should I go to graduate school right after earning my undergraduate degree?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. Some students choose to go to graduate school immediately after their undergraduate degree to continue their education and gain specialized knowledge and skills. Others may choose to take a gap year to work, travel, or gain more experience in their field.

2. What are the benefits of going to graduate school?

Graduate school can provide advanced education and training in a specific field, which can lead to higher-paying job opportunities and career advancement. It can also allow you to gain specialized knowledge and skills, network with professionals in your field, and potentially contribute to research and advancements in your field.

3. Will going to graduate school increase my earning potential?

In many cases, yes. Studies have shown that individuals with a graduate degree earn higher salaries than those with just an undergraduate degree. However, it is important to consider the cost of graduate school and potential student loan debt when making this decision.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific career goal in mind before applying to graduate school?

Not necessarily. Graduate school can provide a deeper understanding of a subject and open up new career opportunities. However, it is important to have a general idea of why you want to pursue a graduate degree and how it aligns with your long-term goals.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate school?

Some important factors to consider include the program's reputation, faculty, resources, location, cost, and fit for your academic and career goals. It is also important to research the program's curriculum, opportunities for research or internships, and job placement rates after graduation.